M&S summer campaign to play on Olympics and Jubilee
Marks & Spencer is to unveil its summer campaign this week, using celebrities to subtly associate the brand with the biggest events of 2012, including the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and London Olympics.
Myleene Klass and Dannii Minogue return to the brand’s advertising, despite having been widely reported to have been ditched last year, while Gary Barlow performs an exclusive cover version of The Beatles’ Here Comes the Sun.
The campaign will be spearheaded by TV activity, created by RKCR/Y&R, based on the new strapline ‘On your Marks for a summer to remember’.
Although M&S is not an Olympic sponsor, the ads will make lighthearted connections to the Games, with one execution featuring Minogue and Klass taking part in an egg-and-spoon race.
Ads will also feature former footballer Jamie Redknapp playing tennis with model Noémie Lenoir in a reference to the Wimbledon Championships. Meanwhile, Twiggy, who was also rumoured to have been dropped from TV ads last year, will be seen hosting a garden party in reference to the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
Model and presenter Lisa Snowdon will be seen rowing on a lake, in a nod to the Diamond Jubilee River Pageant.
Rival retailer Sainsbury’s is a major sponsor of the River Pageant and will host a festival in Hyde Park as it seeks to capitalise on the goodwill generated by the Jubilee.
The Queen’s Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant commercial director Phil Smith is close to signing up to 15 brands to sponsor the Pageant and a festival in Battersea Park.
Steve Sharp, executive director of marketing at M&S, said: 'It's going to be the summer of a lifetime for our customers and we want to do something extra special to mark this celebratory year. Just like the Royal Family and our sporting heroes, M&S triggers a unique reaction in the hearts and minds of the British public and this campaign really encapsulates that sense of fondness and nostalgia.'
Take That star Barlow added: 'It's great to be back with M&S and it's real a privilege to cover such an iconic track. You can't better perfection but I hope we've given it a modern twist that will capture the mood of the nation and provide the perfect anthem for summer 2012.'
The TV spot, which breaks today (Wednesday) will be supported by digital activity by Profero. Press activity for M&S’ clothing sub-brands will run alongside the brand campaign.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Studio Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £29000 - £32000 per annum, Warwickshire
- Martin Sorrell earns 780 times more than average WPP employee
- 3 top tips on how to save an epic social media fail
- Lake Capital rejects demands of Engine's rebel shareholders
- Head lice-killing mousse launches in the UK with cartoon campaign
- Facebook's 'Buy' button: a leap too far?
- Beiersdorf postpones review after MAA criticisms of procedure