Tesco ditches 20-year Value range and replaces it with Everyday Value
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 04 April 2012 12:45PM
Tesco is launching a TV campaign on 30 April to showcase its Everyday Value range, which is replacing its blue-and-white-striped Value range after nearly 20 years.
The Everyday Value range will feature brighter packaging than its predecessor.
David Wood, Tesco UK marketing director, said: "Tesco was the first supermarket to launch a 'value' range back in 1993, the blue-and-white-striped brand giving customers a down-to-earth option. Almost 20 years on and an affordable quality range is more relevant than ever, but customer needs have changed."
Tesco said Everyday Value would focus on three specific areas – quality, healthier options, and packaging improvements.
In total, the supermarket group is introducing more than 550 new lines, beginning today (4 April).
Examples of the new range include Tesco Everyday Value fish fingers, which contain 100% fillet of fish, and bran flakes and corn flakes fortified with vitamins and iron.
The Everyday Value range will include no MSG, hydrogenated fats, artificial flavours or genetically modified ingredients. A number of products have also been reformulated to contain less sugar and fat.
It is unclear what level of marketing support will be accorded to the new range, which will compete against the likes of Waitrose's Essentials and the Sainsbury's Basics range.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Mid-weight Designer with super cool boutique agency Dahling Ltd £28-35k, London (East), London (Greater)
- Mid-weight or Senior Conceptual Creative Team Dahling Ltd £30-45k or £60-90k, London (East), London (Greater)
- Junior Conceptual Creative or a Junior Creative team- TOP BOUTIQUE CREATIVE AGENCY!!!! Dahling Ltd £20-25k, London (East), London (Greater)
- Project Manager - Client Side - Blue Chip - CRM, Data, Backend Salt £35000 - £45000 per annum + + Benefits +75% off travel , London
- CREATIVE SERVICES MANAGER (Brand Guardian, Marketing, Strategy) Creative Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Surrey