'100% Original' Ugg ad banned
By Daniel Farey-Jones, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 11 April 2012 09:29AM
The advertising watchdog has banned a Facebook ad from uggbootsstore-uk.com that claimed to offer "100% Original" Uggs but failed to provide evidence that it was offering genuine products.
The ad included a picture of a boot and the following text: "Our UK Exclusive Sale … uggbootsstore-uk.com … Huge sale – save 40 – 80% 100% Original. Made in Australia."
The ad attracted one complaint that challenged whether it was misleading because it implied genuine Ugg boots were for sale.
Uggbootsstore-uk.com did not respond to the Advertising Standards Authority's enquiries.
The ASA decided the "100% Original" claim, in conjunction with the image of an Ugg boot, was misleading as the body had not seen any evidence that genuine products were for sale. It banned the ad from appearing again in its current form.
Uggbootsstore-uk.com had not responded to requests for comment in time for publication. The site is not on Ugg's list of authorised online retailers.
Facebook operates a system where users can report concerns about an ad by clicking a cross positioned in the top right corner.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Digital Account Director Lipton Fleming £45000 - £55000 per annum, London
- Head of Video Aspire £60000.00 - £70000.00 per annum, London
- Senior Demand Generation Manager Salt £45000 - £55000 per annum + Bonus, London