ITV seeks new Coronation Street sponsor
By Matthew Chapman, mediaweek.co.uk, Wednesday, 11 April 2012 10:36AM
ITV is seeking a new sponsor for flagship soap opera 'Coronation Street' from next year, as furniture retailer Harveys has opted to end its deal after five years.
The broadcaster is drawing up an on- and off-air sponsorship package that will include broadcast, online, mobile and licensing.
Stephen Campbell, managing director at furniture retailer Harveys, said: "Over the last five years, 'Coronation Street' has been a fantastic alignment for us, but we feel the time has come to look for something new.
"However, having contemplated long and hard about continuing with 'Coronation Street', we felt it would be a good time to do something different and we are currently considering a number of options."
Harveys' sponsorship will end in January 2013 and comes as the retailer shifts focus from its price and sales-led marketing.
It has recently launched an app that allows users to "test drive" sofas in their home, which has been integrated into its 'Coronation Street' idents that features comedienne characters Katie and Anna.
Simon Daglish, group commercial sales director at ITV, said: "'Coronation Street' remains one of the jewels in ITV's crown and this sponsorship package consistently delivers some of the highest audiences across any year, as well as outstanding additional value and exciting opportunities across multiple platforms.
"Harveys remains one of our largest advertisers and we look forward to continuing to work closely with them going forward."
'Coronation Street' is the UK’s most popular soap and currently attracts an average audience of 10.1 million viewers for each of its five episodes per week.
This year it peaked with 12.5 million viewers, or 45% of the available TV audience, for an episode on 23 January that saw Becky McDonald leave the show.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior Account Director Twist Recruitment £60000 - £65000 per annum, City of London
- Audience Development Director - SEO, Social & Content - CLIENT Ultimate Asset £75000 per annum + bens, Hammersmith and Fulham
- Planner - Charity / DM - Award-winning London agency - to £35k Fill Recruitment £35k plus superb benefits and bonus opportunity!, London (Greater)
- Freelance Account Manager/ Senior Account Manager Prospect Resourcing Ltd £150 - £200 per day, London (Greater)
- Digital Creative Director - (Copy) £75,000 London EC2 Mark Paine Recruitment to £75,000 plus benefits, EC2A 1AE, London (Greater)
- WPP, Daily Mail and SnapChat launch content agency Truffle Pig
- Will.i.am clashes with Martin Sorrell over online ads in Cannes
- UK agencies win 7 Media Lions
- Twitter to embrace power of TV in UK ad campaign
- Martin Sorrell on the mega-media reviews: 'We can't remember anything like this'
- Aston Martin appoints WPP to global marketing account