PepsiCo set to beat Coke in race to remove sugar from 'vitamin' water
PepsiCo UK is removing sugar from its vitamin-enriched water range SoBe V Water at the end of this month, while Coca-Cola is yet to confirm whether it will reformulate its rival Glaceau Vitaminwater range.
PepsiCo and its UK bottler Britvic are to use the naturally-sourced stevia extract, which was approved by the European Union in November, to sweeten the drink instead of sugar.
The move will reduce the SoBe V Water range's sugar content from 20 grams to zero and its calorie count from 85 to 10 or less.
New packaging will communicate the brand's new low calorie, zero sugar message and PepsiCo and Britvic are planning an outdoor marketing campaign, sampling, in-store and social media activity.
However, Coca-Cola is yet to confirm where it plans to use the sweetener in its portfolio. The company said in a statement: "We are exploring the use of our stevia sweetener in our GB portfolio but have no plans to announce at this time".
Glaceau Vitaminwater, which is the "worldwide partner and best mate" of the London 2012 Games, contains 23 grams of sugar per 500ml serving.
Amanda Thompson, marketing director at PepsiCo UK, said: "SoBe V Water with purified stevia extract has been a great hit in the US and we’re excited to launch a version for the UK market and deliver a wider choice in healthier drinks for UK consumers.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater), South East England
- Customer Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 + c/a, South East England
- Senior Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + car or c/a, London (Greater)
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham