BMI marketers' jobs at risk in £173m BA takeover
Around 150 marketing and sales roles at loss-making airline BMI are under review as part of the carrier's integration with British Airways.
BA confirmed that BMI's 150 sales and marketing jobs are being reviewed as part of a consultation process to integrate the airline into its new owner's operations, announced yesterday (12 April). Up to 1,200 jobs across BMI are at risk.
BA said most of the redundancies would come from BMI's head office and regional airports.
The integration will see BMI's planes repainted with BA's livery.
The consultation with trade unions, expected to last 90 days, will involve the proposals to integrate BMI's mainline business into BA's. BA said the integration would secure approximately 1,500 BMI jobs.
IAG's takeover of BMI is expected to be fully approved on 20 April. BA will inherit BMI's coveted 56 Heathrow slots, of which 14 will be made available to other airlines as part of the agreement deal.
Lufthansa is currently in discussions with potential buyers for BMI's sub-brands, bmi baby and BMI regional.
Keith Williams, BA chief executive, stressed yesterday that BMI was a "heavily loss-making" airline and was "not a viable business" as it stood at present.
He said: "As we look to restructure the business and restore profitability, job losses are deeply regrettable, but inevitable."
Lufthansa reported an operating loss of €154m for BMI for the nine months to September 2011.
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @LoullaMae_ES
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Strategist - Top 5 Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Marketing Planning Controller Stopgap £75000 - £80000 per annum + pro rata - 6 month contract, Bedfordshire
- Partnership & Sponsorship Manager, Leisure, £55k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £50000 - £55000 per annum, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Virgin Holidays launches digital Caribbean push
- Bloomberg appoints Matt Teeman as commercial director EMEA
- Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned for suggesting alcohol conquers boredom
- Yahoo appoints Marc Bignell as head of trading for the EMEA region
- McCann picked to resurrect Homepride's Fred
- Samsung celebrates Prince George's birthday