Reggae Reggae Sauce brought to life in Aardman TV ad
Reggae Reggae Sauce, born after a successful pitch by Levi Roots on the BBC's business show 'Dragons' Den', is set to launch its first ad campaign next month, featuring claymation from Wallace & Gromit creator, Aardman Animations.
The £2m campaign, created by JWT London, will air for the first time on ITV on 3 May and run until mid-August.
It features the larger-than-life musician turned entrepreneur, Roots, cooking up a BBQ in the back garden of a house in Brixton.
Singing his now trademark 'It's so nice I had to name it twice', Reggae Reggae Sauce song, which sealed the deal for him on 'Dragons' Den', an animated Roots splashes sauce onto sausages, kebabs and chicken drumsticks.
The ad will also run in cinemas and carry the strapline "Put some Music in your Food". Media planning and buying is being handled by ZenithOptimedia.
Directed by Merlin Crossingham, it took a whole day to create just two seconds of filmed animation and required 20kg of clay over a three month period.
Roots’ clay model stands 50 cm tall and is said to be the result of four and a half weeks work by a dedicated team of six model makers.
The TV and cinema activity will be supported by an integrated campaign comprising PR, online amplification, in-store POS and sampling.
Roots first appeared on 'Dragons' Den' in February 2007 and convinced investors Peter Jones and Richard Farleigh to part with £50,000 in return for a 40% stake in the company.
Reggae Reggae Sauce TV credits
Project name: Put some Music in your Food
Client: Peter Baxendell, Marketing and Business Development Director of AB World Foods
Brief: Make Levi Roots’ Reggae Reggae Sauce a more exciting alternative to other condiments
Creative agency: JWT London
Executive creative director: Russell Ramsey
Creative director: Jason Berry
Art director: Christiano Neves / Bruno Xavier
Copy writer: Bruno Xavier / Christiano Neves
TV producer: Denise Connell
Planners (creative agency): Claire Jackson and Harvey Cossell
Account director: Dan Duffett
Account manager: Patrick Netherton
Media agency: ZenithOptimedia
Media planner: Siadat Elbadri
Director: Merlin Crossingham
Production company: Aardman Animations
Sound: Grand Central
Exposure: TV, Cinema, Online
Follow Arif Durrani on Twitter: @DurraniMix
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Senior Designer Purple Consultancy £250 per day, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Graphic Designer Ninesharp £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Sussex
- Head of PR, Luxury Travel, Surrey, £60-65k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £60000 - £65000 per annum, London (Greater) / Surrey
- Lead Promotions Manager Three £Competitive + 20% bonus + benefits, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Want a tactical ad? Should have gone to Specsavers
- Greenpeace dresses up cats to help save tigers from extinction
- Maxus confirmed as world's fastest growing media agency
- Why 2014 won't be the year of mobile advertising
- Palestinian and Israeli bereaved families unite for 'anti-conflict' film
- ITV's Adam Crozier: 'Work to be done' after losing out to C4 during World Cup