MAA calls clients 'unfair and greedy' over payment terms
By Ian Darby, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 19 April 2012 11:25AM
Clients are "unfair and greedy" in their approach to paying agencies, according to the Marketing Agencies Association.
The MAA attacked clients for moving payment terms to their agencies from a standard 30 days to up to 120 or 150 days after project completion.
The association said that this, combined with an escalation of project-based work, places increased pressures on agencies.
It called on its members to charge clients for late payment and hopes this will encourage clients to revert to paying agencies in 30 days.
The MAA's move follows research issued in January that showed that the average fee for its member agencies declined by 18.4 per cent in the decade to 2011.
MAA figures show that 72 per cent of its member agency income is from project-based work, a slight increase year on year as clients look for tighter financial controls and fewer retained agency relationships.
The trade body is chaired by the Iris founder Ian Millner and represents 80 digital, direct and integrated agencies.
Scott Knox, the managing director of the MAA, said: "We are hearing from agencies dismayed at payment terms, which have crept up from 30 days to 90, then to 110, 120 or even 150. This is nothing short of unfair and greedy."
The MAA said that clients "hide behind" policy and international directives to avoid prompt payment.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Planner, Direct Marketing /CRM Agency, London Direct Recruitment £70,000-100,000, London (Greater)
- Account Executive - Partnership Marketing Stonor £18,000 to £20,000, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Gr...
- Account Manager/Senior Account Manager - Integrated - Herts Stonor £28,000 to £35,000 dependent on experience , Bedfordshire / Hertfordshire / London (North), London (Greater)
- Midweight Copywriter (Digital) createselect Up to £38K pa, depending on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Marketing Executive - Healthcare GoodEgg Digital £24k + Great Benefits, England
- ASA receives 240 complaints about Sainsbury's Christmas ad
- John Lewis Christmas ad gets three times more views than Sainsbury's in first 24 hours
- Watch: The Post Office's first Christmas TV campaign in five years
- Watch: Ant and Dec star in Morrisons' festive campaign
- DigitasLBi is on hunt for new media leader as Ling exits
- Samsung launches first Christmas TV campaign in the UK