C4's Undateables campaign escapes investigation
Channel 4's ad campaign for its dating documentary 'The Undateables' will not be investigated by the ad watchdog, which decided the work would not cause "serious or widespread offence".
The Advertising Standards Authority received 21 complaints about the outdoor and press ads, which included images of people with disabilities from the programme, the words "Love is blind, disfigured, autistic..." and the title 'The Undateables'.
Most of the complaints said the ads were offensive to disabled people because they implied they were inevitably dateless and incapable of having a personal relationship, while others said the ads could encourage bullying and reinforce prejudices.
After considering the complaints about the ad campaign, which was designed by Channel 4's in-house creative agency 4Creative, the ASA decided not to investigate.
A spokesman for the ASA said: "We acknowledged that the ads would not be to everyone’s taste but considered they reflected the tone and content of the programme they promoted and were not likely to cause serious or widespread offence for the reasons suggested.
"After careful consideration, ASA Council decided we will not be taking any further action."
The ruling follows the ASA's decision not to investigate an ad campaign for the series 'Big Fat Gypsy Weddings', which received more than 100 complaints.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 per annum + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager!! New Business Development Role!! Ultimate Asset £22000 - £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Search Account Executive Ultimate Asset £20000 - £25000 per annum + fantastic benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Search Director - Leading Technology Company Ultimate Asset £55000 - £70000 per annum + excellent package , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Want a tactical ad? Should have gone to Specsavers
- Maxus confirmed as world's fastest growing media agency
- Greenpeace dresses up cats to help save tigers from extinction
- Why 2014 won't be the year of mobile advertising
- ITV's Adam Crozier: 'Work to be done' after losing out to C4 during World Cup
- Palestinian and Israeli bereaved families unite for 'anti-conflict' film