C4's Undateables campaign escapes investigation
Channel 4's ad campaign for its dating documentary 'The Undateables' will not be investigated by the ad watchdog, which decided the work would not cause "serious or widespread offence".
The Advertising Standards Authority received 21 complaints about the outdoor and press ads, which included images of people with disabilities from the programme, the words "Love is blind, disfigured, autistic..." and the title 'The Undateables'.
Most of the complaints said the ads were offensive to disabled people because they implied they were inevitably dateless and incapable of having a personal relationship, while others said the ads could encourage bullying and reinforce prejudices.
After considering the complaints about the ad campaign, which was designed by Channel 4's in-house creative agency 4Creative, the ASA decided not to investigate.
A spokesman for the ASA said: "We acknowledged that the ads would not be to everyone’s taste but considered they reflected the tone and content of the programme they promoted and were not likely to cause serious or widespread offence for the reasons suggested.
"After careful consideration, ASA Council decided we will not be taking any further action."
The ruling follows the ASA's decision not to investigate an ad campaign for the series 'Big Fat Gypsy Weddings', which received more than 100 complaints.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- UX DESIGNER - (Creative, User Experience, Layout, Branding) Creative Recruitment £50000 - £55000 per annum + Negotiable, London
- Frontend Developer Digital Gurus £35000 - £60000 Per Annum Bonus and Benefits, London
- Brand Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits package, London
- Sales Manager- Travel - Programmatic Ultimate Asset £45000 - £55000 per annum + commission, benefits & shares!, London
- Middleweight Print Designer Major Players £22000 - £27000 per annum + Benefits package, London
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy
- Cannes 2015: Highlights from the Campaign beach party
- UK wins four gold Film Lions
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch