Facebook reports Q1 fall despite annual revenues climbing 41%
By John Reynolds, mediaweek.co.uk, Tuesday, 24 April 2012 09:12AM
Facebook has posted its first quarterly revenue fall in two years, despite increasing 41% year on year to $1.06bn (£656m) and active monthly users surpassing 900 million.
Net income for the world's largest social network fell slightly to $205m as costs nearly doubled to $677m.
Marketing and sales spend was up from $68m to $159m while research and development costs were up from $57m to $153m in the period.
The fall in profits comes ahead of the highly-anticipated float of the social media giant in May and could be a concern for potential investors.
The number of monthly active users on Facebook rose to 901 million, up from 678 million the previous year. Of these, Facebook said 488 million used Facebook mobile products.
The filling also reveals that Facebook agreed a $200m break-up fee to Instagram should its $1bn purchase fail to go through, and paid $300m and 23 million shares for the start-up.
Further disclosures in the filing include staff level growing by about 1,100 employees to 3,539 in the year.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Senior Planner - 4 Days Part Time Dynamic New Alliances £55000.00 - £85000.00 per annum + benefits, London
- Account Director [Car Account] - Advertising Agency Fill Recruitment c£55k+, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- PR / Account Executive Twist Recruitment £18000 - £24000 per annum + Gym, Bonus, Heathcare!, City of London
- Business Development Manager - £45-50k - (£80-100k OTE) Salt £45000 - £50000 per annum + (£80-100k OTE) + benefits , City of London