Havas revenue rises 7.2% in Q1 but UK growth stalls
Havas, home to Euro RSCG and MPG Media Contacts, has reported "good growth" of 7.2% in revenues for the first quarter of 2012, with European operations boosted by its media and advertising businesses in France.
Unadjusted revenue for the first quarter was €387m (£316m) up from €361m (£295m) n Q1 2011. Once exchange rates and acquisitions were stripped out, Havas achieved organic growth of 3.5%.
However, any Olympic bounce for the UK failed to materialise during the quarter, with Havas revenues actually retracting fractionally (-0.2%), attributed to "a temporary slowdown in marketing services activities".
The UK's sluggish performance was offset by organic growth of 5.1% in Havas' homeland of France for Q1 2012.
Elsewhere, the economic uncertainty throughout the Eurozone during the period was reported to have "adversely affected" the rest of Europe, although Germany and Italy were credited with "highly satisfactory growth". No further details were provided.
North America is reported to have "continued its performance in line with the fourth quarter of 2011", while strong growth in the emerging markets was maintained with double-digit growth in Asia Pacific and Latin America.
David Jones, global chief executive of Havas, said: "The group achieved good growth in the first quarter of 2012, despite a high comparative benchmark. A particular highlight was the strong performance in France, given what remains an uncertain economic environment in Europe."
Havas reported net new business of €605 million during the quarter, with strong wins for Euro RSCG including Ambank in Malaysia, Lycra globally and Thomas Cook in the UK.
Havas Media’s new business was boosted by MPG Media Contacts winning Atlantic City Alliance in the US, Dysonin the Spain and Carnival Cruises in the UK.
Follow Arif Durrani on Twitter @DurraniMix
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Digital Designer 20-35k London - Advertising Tech Company Creative Recruitment £20000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits, London
- senior account director > RETAIL > GLOBAL AGENCY collectivo Salary confidential, London
- social media account manager > DRINKS BRAND collectivo to £25-30k + amazing bens, London
- Press Investment Senior Exec Aspire £25000.00 - £34000.00 per annum, London
- Group Marketing Manager - Leading Media Business ADLIB £30000 - £40000 per annum, Bath
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham