Facebook to broadcast more sport through Perform deal
By Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Friday, 27 April 2012 11:46AM
Perform, the digital sports media agency, has struck a deal with Facebook that will bring more than 50 digital sports channels to the social network.
Thousands of live sports matches and on-demand content will be available to view through an integration with Perform's online sport content platform, LiveSport.TV.
This will include coverage from sports including rugby league, rugby union, the European and South American football leagues, world snooker and Australian Rules football.
Facebook's 900 million users will be able to watch content through an application on the social network, while Livesport.TV will become integrated with Facebook's API, meaning viewers can log on using their Facebook details.
The on-demand content will be available free and will be ad-funded using instream ads. Live sports matches will be available to subscribers only, at £2.99 a month.
Oliver Slipper, joint chief executive at Perform, said he believed the integration would be a "great opportunity" for Livesport.TV, which launched just over a year ago, to build its subscriber bases and increase VOD audience.
He said: "Our focus with Facebook will be to use the targeted advertising to communicate with niche fans around the world, looking for special interest live sports content, and use the in-built virality of the platform to target the hundreds of millions of sports fans on Facebook to share our VoD sports content, and drive video views globally."
Last year, Facebook streamed an FA Cup match on the social network, with sponsorship from Budweiser. Facebook plans to broadcast more FA Cup matches next season.
The latest move marks a wider trend on Facebook, as it moves to become an entertainment channel, showing content from BBC Worldwide, Channel 4 and Warner Bros.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Ad Ops Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager AF Selection £28,000 plus company car, East Midlands Region / Leicestershire / Nottinghamshire / Derby, Derbyshire / Leicester, Leiceste...
- Analytics Manager | 3 months Contract Salt £350 - £450 per day, City of London
- Senior Account Manager or Account Director - Branding & Design Royds Raphael £220-£280 day rate, London (Central), London (Greater)
- KitKat's mocking Apple tweet outperforms Oreo's Superbowl
- TfL launches selfie campaign to encourage people to get home safely
- Social Media Week: what social media has taught us
- Argos releases alien swan song ad
- Branded Content sends messages ads cannot, Diageo boss says
- 13 ways to create a winning print ad