Tesco mimics Waitrose with Everyday Value range push
Tesco has set its sights on winning market share for its Everyday Value range by running ads that mimic the launch campaign for Waitrose's Essentials.
The Everyday Value press campaign launches today (30 April) and replaces Tesco's blue-and-white-striped Value range.
Waitrose launched a similar strategy in June 2009 for its own-brand Essential range.
Tesco will support its press advertising with a TV campaign that premiers on Wednesday during the British Soap Awards on ITV1. It features a man eating a fish finger sandwich.
The Everyday Value range is focused around three specific areas – quality, healthier options and improved packaging.
The revamped own-brand range will include no MSG, hydrogenated fats, artificial flavours or genetically modified ingredients.
A number of products have also been reformulated to contain less sugar and fat, while the fish fingers product will contain a 100% fillet of fish.
Tesco chief executive Philip Clarke recently said the supermarket has "to build better brands".
At an analysts’ conference on earlier this month Clarke said: "We've been working on [Everyday Value] for the past six months, the venture brands are building and we've now got 12, and they are doing very nicely.
"This is a plan we started last year, it is not one we will start tomorrow."
Press activity for the Tesco ad states "we’d like to introduce the new Everyday Value range...it not only looks better on the outside but we've improved lots on the inside" and directs customers to the products' microsite.
The agency behind the campaign, The Red Brick Road, revealed last week that it would not be repitching for the ad account, which is up for review.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Mid-weight Designer with super cool boutique agency Dahling Ltd £28-35k, London (East), London (Greater)
- Mid-weight or Senior Conceptual Creative Team Dahling Ltd £30-45k or £60-90k, London (East), London (Greater)
- Junior Conceptual Creative or a Junior Creative team- TOP BOUTIQUE CREATIVE AGENCY!!!! Dahling Ltd £20-25k, London (East), London (Greater)
- Project Manager - Client Side - Blue Chip - CRM, Data, Backend Salt £35000 - £45000 per annum + + Benefits +75% off travel , London
- CREATIVE SERVICES MANAGER (Brand Guardian, Marketing, Strategy) Creative Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Surrey