Heineken appoints Starcom MediaVest to £230m global media account
Heineken has appointed Starcom MediaVest Group to its estimated £230m consolidating global media business, after a head-to-head pitch against part-incumbent Mindshare.
Starcom MediaVest already held the £30m account in the UK, but it will now take on the media planning and buying business for all of Heineken's brands in 42 markets across the world.
In the first phase, from 1 July, Publicis Groupe-owned Starcom MediaVest will focus on Heineken's top 15 spending markets, which account for 85% of the company's media spend and include the UK, USA, Russia, Brazil and France.
In a second phase, Starcom MediaVest will take on the remaining markets.
The review was called in November last year in an attempt to achieve cost efficiencies. Alongside the UK, MediaVest previously had the account in the USA, Italy and Mexico, while Mindshare’s biggest markets were the Netherlands and Ireland.
Alexis Nasard, chief commercial officer at Heineken, said: "This move is in line with our strategy to foster thought-leadership in the increasingly complex media world, leveraging the potential of both new and classical media, while maximising the proportion of our marketing spend that is consumer-facing.
"We are confident that this partnership will support Heineken's broader strategy to drive top-line growth and market share, by stimulating consumer engagement and igniting the conversation around our brands."
The appointment of a global media agency is part of a wider push by Heineken to leverage its global scale, by appointing a global ad agency for the Heineken brand and creating a global business services organisation.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Account Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £30,000, Greater Manchester
- Communications Assistant AF Selection £16,000 - £20,000, Birmingham, West Midlands
- Digital Account Manager - Brand Accounts!! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits + Great Agency Culture, City of London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater), South East England
- Customer Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham