Waitrose matches Tesco prices as Morrisons' growth slows
Waitrose has pledged to match Tesco's prices on all branded grocery products excluding promotions, while Morrisons reports its growth phase is running out of steam.
The premium supermarket has opted to offer customers better value by pegging all branded goods prices, rather than just those on a selection of 1,000 products, to the sector leader.
It started to match Tesco's prices on branded products in September 2010, which it has said would cost it between £20m and £26m a year. A spokeswoman declined to say how much the extension would cost, saying it varied according to how prices move.
Waitrose has opened 50 stores since September 2010, taking its total number to 277.
Meanwhile, another of the big four supermarkets, Morrisons, this morning (3 May) issued a trading update for the 13 weeks to 29 April, indicating that its recent growth spurt is fading.
Total sales excluding VAT were up 1.5%, excluding fuel (up 3.1% including fuel), but like-for-like sales were down 1% (up 0.9% including fuel).
The figures represent a slowdown on annual total sales growth, excluding VAT of 7%, to £17.7bn in 2011 (including fuel) with like-for-like sales up 1.8%.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Digital Producer Source £40000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, London
- Head of Brand and Marketing Stopgap £65000 per annum, London
- Category Manager Stopgap £40000 per annum + Car Allowance & Benefits, Kent
- UX Producer/Designer Blue Tree Recruits £35,000 - £45,000, Cobham, Surrey
- Account Director, Integrated, SW London The Great & The Good £45000 - £55000 per annum + significant benefits , London
- Land Rover to move global ad account into Spark44
- WPP's Martin Sorrell reconsiders strength of newspapers
- Group M retains £80m Lloyds media
- Twitter hunts for UK marketer as it targets £180m ad revenues
- Gogglebox stars encourage viewers to vote
- Dave Trott at Ad Week Europe: Ads have become overcomplicated