Spotify launches iPad app
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Thursday, 03 May 2012 09:45AM
Spotify, the online music provider, has launched its long-awaited iPad app, which has been designed to display high-definition cover artwork and make browsing through the service's catalogue of 18 million songs easier.
The app launched on iTunes yesterday (2 May) and is free to download for users with a Spotify Premium account.
The app's 'Now Playing' screen allows users to view cover artwork and search for playlists, other users and music, in the same window.
Social media integration is key to the new app, enabling users to discover trending playlists and songs among their friends, and share what they are listening to on social networks.
The launch on tablets is part of Spotify's plans to be on as many platforms as possible. A spokeswoman did not disclose whether an Android tablet app was on the horizon, but said the company was working on new apps all the time.
Spotify, which has three million subscribers and 10 million active users, currently has a service across all the major mobile operating systems, including Android, iOS, Symbian, BlackBerry and Windows Phone. It also has hardware integrations with devices including Sonos wireless stereos, Logtech Squeezebox and Virgin Media.
Although the app is ad-free, Spotify has stepped up the opportunities for brands on the service – first through the launch of apps and, more recently, with the launch of brand pages.
Spotify has also introduced a 'Play Button' that allows online publishers to offer the ability to play songs in Spotify on their website for free.
Spotify's iPad debut comes shortly after LinkedIn's similar move, which was also hotly anticipated.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Senior Sales Executive Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Fantastic Commission + Benefits, West End
- International Search Manager (SEO / PPC) - Client - London Digital Gurus £30000 - £40000 Per Annum benefits, London
- Account Manager - eCRM & email, global brand, lots of creative and campaign execution Ramsden Road c.£28 - £30k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand and Marketing Manager Barclay Meade £35000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits, Southampton
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Facebook IQ reveals marketing to millennials is flawed
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Guardian joins forces with Telegraph for media planning tool
- Sir Martin Sorrell labels Omnicom CFO exit 'bizarre'
- OMD lands Liberty Global pan-Euro media