Spotify launches iPad app
Spotify, the online music provider, has launched its long-awaited iPad app, which has been designed to display high-definition cover artwork and make browsing through the service's catalogue of 18 million songs easier.
The app launched on iTunes yesterday (2 May) and is free to download for users with a Spotify Premium account.
The app's 'Now Playing' screen allows users to view cover artwork and search for playlists, other users and music, in the same window.
Social media integration is key to the new app, enabling users to discover trending playlists and songs among their friends, and share what they are listening to on social networks.
The launch on tablets is part of Spotify's plans to be on as many platforms as possible. A spokeswoman did not disclose whether an Android tablet app was on the horizon, but said the company was working on new apps all the time.
Spotify, which has three million subscribers and 10 million active users, currently has a service across all the major mobile operating systems, including Android, iOS, Symbian, BlackBerry and Windows Phone. It also has hardware integrations with devices including Sonos wireless stereos, Logtech Squeezebox and Virgin Media.
Although the app is ad-free, Spotify has stepped up the opportunities for brands on the service – first through the launch of apps and, more recently, with the launch of brand pages.
Spotify has also introduced a 'Play Button' that allows online publishers to offer the ability to play songs in Spotify on their website for free.
Spotify's iPad debut comes shortly after LinkedIn's similar move, which was also hotly anticipated.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- SEO & PPC Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Video Advertising Strategist Ultimate Asset £40000 - £55000 per annum + excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Greater)
- Account Manager- Sports Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum + excellent benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Graphic Designer Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Want a tactical ad? Should have gone to Specsavers
- Maxus confirmed as world's fastest growing media agency
- Greenpeace dresses up cats to help save tigers from extinction
- Why 2014 won't be the year of mobile advertising
- ITV's Adam Crozier: 'Work to be done' after losing out to C4 during World Cup
- Palestinian and Israeli bereaved families unite for 'anti-conflict' film