Sainsbury's enters music download market
Sainsbury's has jumped into the increasingly competitive online music market by launching a music download service to improve its online entertainment offering.
The new service will be hosted on a Sainsbury’s entertainment website and provides customers with access to more than 2.3 million music downloads.
Mark Bennett, head of online entertainment at Sainsbury's, said: "This is the first step in our expansion to offer digital entertainment alongside our existing range of CDs, games, film and books catalogue."
Sainsbury's created the download service in-house without the help of a third party. This was made possible following its acquisition of Global Media Vault for £1m in October.
Tracks will be available from 89p, chart albums from £6.99 and "Deal of the week" albums will be sold for £4.99.
Sainsbury's will encourage take-up of the service by offering the first download free, while customers will also collect Nectar points when downloading tracks on the service.
A "lowest price" guarantee will be offered on pre-order items, meaning that when an MP3 track or album is purchased and the price drops ahead of or on the release date, the supermarket will refund the difference.
Additional functionality on the website will allow customers to build a playlist and preview tracks.
Peter Selby, music manager at Sainsbury's, said: "Downloading made easy is central to our music offering and we have ensured that the process is as simple as possible for all our customers."
The service was soft-launched on Friday (27 April) and is now being pushed out to customers.
Sainsbury's is not the only supermarket to offer music downloads. Tesco has already launched a service.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Search & Performance Marketing Director - Dubai MCG Associates Competitive and Tax Free in the sunshine!, Dubai, UAE
- Regional Planning & Strategy Director - Middle East & North Africa - Dubai Based MCG Associates Large Tax Free Package + Family Medical + Family Flights + Bonus + Relocation flights and hotel, Dubai - UAE
- Biddable Account Manager - Social Media - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager - near Bath Stopgap £35000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'