Zoopla acquires dotcom Upmystreet.com to boost traffic
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 11 May 2012 10:51AM
Zoopla, the online property portal, has acquired Upmystreet.com, one of the original local information sites from the dotcom goldrush era, for an undisclosed sum.
UpMyStreet, which was launched in 1998 by Stefan Magdalinski, went into administration in 2003 and was subsequently bought by comparison site USwitch for £1m that year.
The deal is part of Zoopla's strategy to expand its reach and be "the most comprehensive property website". Visitors to Upmystreet.com will now automatically be redirected to Zoopla.co.uk with immediate effect.
Upmystreet.com attracted 1.1 million unique visitors in March 2012, which is an 18.2% increase year on year, according to comScore data.
It attracts a third of the traffic Zoopla.co.uk does, which saw 3.2 million unique UK visitors in March, up 7.9% from last year, according to comScore.
It has not confirmed further plans for the site and whether it will maintain the brand.
Alex Chesterman, founder and chief executive of Zoopla, said: "This acquisition is a natural fit for us and allows us to further extend our audience and reach for the benefit of our members."
The announcement comes after Zoopla was given the green light by the Office of Fair Trading to merge with DMGT's Digital Property Group, which owns FindaProperty.com and Primelocation.com, in a bid to take on Rightmove. The deal is expected to close in the next few weeks.
Rightmove.com is the most visited property site by UK internet users, receiving 6.9 million unique visitors in March 2012. It is followed by Digital Property Group's two sites, which received 3.8 million uniques for the same period, according to comScore.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Product Development Manager Premier Inn £Competitive + Benefits, Dunstable, Bedfordshire
- Artworker Creative Recruitment £150 - £170 per day, London
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014
- Notonthehighstreet.com launches brand campaign
- Bosch secures sponsorship deal with Channel 4's Sunday Brunch