Government focuses on growth in new cross-Whitehall marketing strategy
The government is to make ad campaigns aimed at stimulating growth a key part of the first cross-Whitehall communications plan.
Speaking at the Agile Government Communications Conference in Westminster on Monday (21 May), Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude and the executive director for government communications, Jenny Grey, outlined the coalition's new approach.
Promoting economic growth will be a priority. Marketing aimed at entrepreneurs will run under the 'GREAT' campaign banner, which was launched to promote the UK abroad; another drive will use the strap-line 'There's a business in everyone'. A further campaign will encourage people to take up apprenticeships.
This follows the UK's dip back into recession and increased criticism of the government's growth strategy.
Other campaigns set for the coming year include activity to promote the controversial HS2 high-speed rail link.
Further investment will be made in the Think road-safety campaign, Frank drugs-awareness programme and a drive to encourage people to save for their old age. A campaign called 'Stoptober', aimed at getting smokers to quit, is also planned.
Reflecting on the strategy, Michael Warren, head of campaigns and strategy, Prime Minister's Office and Cabinet Office communications, said: 'It's by no means business as usual, but it's not a complete break from the past.'
Grey added: 'Government communicators are making a significant contribution to the government's efficiency programme. We are now a smaller, more agile operation that spends less money.'
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Propositions Manager Bupa Competitive + bonus, Staines
- Campaign Operations Manager News UK Competitive, City of London
- The rear of the Apple Watch is more interesting than the face
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- Guardian launches three-tier membership scheme
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers