Samsung Olympic spot invites people to 'take part'
By Matthew Chapman, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 22 May 2012 12:21PM
Samsung is rolling out an online and cinema spot featuring David Beckham, Jamie Oliver and Victoria Pendleton, inviting people to ''take part in the true spirit of the Olympic Games".
The film, created by Cheil Worldwide, features messages from Samsung's Olympic ambassadors and demonstrates how technology brings people close to every moment.
Mountaineer Kenton Cool is taking part to "fulfil a 90-year-old" promise of taking an Olympic medal to the top of Mount Everest, while Paralympian Jon Pollock, Team GB cyclist Pendleton, Oliver and Beckham, are delivering messages about "taking part".
The 60- and 90-second versions will be the main pieces in Samsung's creative Olympic campaign, called 'Take Part', which is intended to wrap all the brand's Olympic activation together.
Messaging is also designed to show how technology can help people participate in the Olympic Games as never before, as Samsung attempts to drive home its role as wireless communications equipment sponsor of London 2012.
The film was conceived by Cheil UK executive creative director Logan Wilmont and shot by Nima Nourizadeh, who has filmed ads for Adidas and music videos for Lily Allen. The filming was done over five days in Crystal Palace, Hampstead, Hackney, Southampton, Wimbledon Common and Manchester.
It will be debuted on Yahoo tomorrow (23 May) via a homepage takeover and will be followed by a homepage takeover on MSN on Thursday, before being screened on video-on-demand and in cinemas nationwide from mid-June. Media buying is handled by Starcom.
To support the campaign, the mobile phone company has today launched a video on Facebook starring David Beckham, which pushes the features of the Samsung Galaxy Note model.
Creative shows off Beckham's football skills, as he reproduces the melody of Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy' by kicking balls against a wall of drums.
Beckham uses the Galaxy Note to plan his sequence of kicks and uses the phone's S Pen to annotate a photograph and post it on Facebook.
Samsung will demonstrate its latest products, including the Galaxy Note, in the Olympic Village and throughout London for the duration of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater)
- Web Manager Direct Recruitment £40,000 - £45,000, London
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Notonthehighstreet.com launches brand campaign
- Publicis boss Maurice Lévy to step down in 2017 amid board shake-up
- 18 Feet & Rising wins Skoda digital brief