Heathrow creates 'royal runway' for Diamond Jubilee
Heathrow Airport has painted a large Union Jack emblazoned with the Queen's head alongside one of its runways to celebrate the upcoming Diamond Jubilee.
The flag has been created by outdoor agency Curb and spans 540 square metres, measuring 30 metres in height. It marks the first time an image has been painted on Heathrow's airfield.
It is positioned next to the northern runway so passengers can see the image as their flights land.
Red carpets will be laid out across arrivals halls in the airport and Diamond Jubilee and Union Jack flags will be handed out. There will also be live music performances.
An array of congratulatory messages will be collected from consumers to be sent to the Queen.
The activity comes amid a Heathrow marketing campaign reassuring consumers that the BAA-owned airport will deliver a smooth Olympic run during the Games period, but also amid long immigration queues at the airport that have spoiled first impressions for foreign visitors.
Heathrow is expecting more than 2.9 million visitors over the next fortnight, with 780,000 passengers predicted to arrive between 30 May and 6 June.
John Holland-Kaye, commercial director, Heathrow, said: "The Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations mark the start of an important and historic summer for Heathrow.
"As the UK's hub Airport, we are delighted to welcome thousands of visitors to Heathrow to celebrate this momentous national occasion."
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith at @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior copywriter story uk limited Negotiable depending on experience, Edinburgh
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- CRM Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South West England
- Senior Shopper Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £65,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Visual Merchandiser & Store Design Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £80 - £150 per day, London
- What the end of Page 3 means for advertising
- Havas partners with Facebook's Atlas for multi-device ad targeting
- Daily Mirror publishes its own tits on Page 3
- 'This girl can' tops Campaign Viral Chart
- John Brown Media appoints Rebekah Billingsley to head of digital and content strategy role
- 'You don't have to explain yourself if you are getting the job done,' says Tracy De Groose on work and motherhood