Heathrow creates 'royal runway' for Diamond Jubilee
Heathrow Airport has painted a large Union Jack emblazoned with the Queen's head alongside one of its runways to celebrate the upcoming Diamond Jubilee.
The flag has been created by outdoor agency Curb and spans 540 square metres, measuring 30 metres in height. It marks the first time an image has been painted on Heathrow's airfield.
It is positioned next to the northern runway so passengers can see the image as their flights land.
Red carpets will be laid out across arrivals halls in the airport and Diamond Jubilee and Union Jack flags will be handed out. There will also be live music performances.
An array of congratulatory messages will be collected from consumers to be sent to the Queen.
The activity comes amid a Heathrow marketing campaign reassuring consumers that the BAA-owned airport will deliver a smooth Olympic run during the Games period, but also amid long immigration queues at the airport that have spoiled first impressions for foreign visitors.
Heathrow is expecting more than 2.9 million visitors over the next fortnight, with 780,000 passengers predicted to arrive between 30 May and 6 June.
John Holland-Kaye, commercial director, Heathrow, said: "The Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations mark the start of an important and historic summer for Heathrow.
"As the UK's hub Airport, we are delighted to welcome thousands of visitors to Heathrow to celebrate this momentous national occasion."
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith at @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Digital Media Consultant Silverdrum £25,000 - £35,000 depending on experience + uncapped commission, London (Greater)
- Account Director - B2B and IT David Thatcher Recruitment £45-55k, West London, M40 Corridor
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show