Barclaycard returns to TV for PayTag campaign
Barclaycard is rolling out its first TV ad campaign in over a year to promote its PayTag technology, which can be attached to mobile phones and used as a contactless payment device.
The campaign by BBH launches today (28 May). It takes the brand back to its comedic advertising roots with a TV spot directed by Becky Martin, the producer of Channel 4 comedy series 'Peep Show'.
The ad features mobile phones discussing what they are used for by their owners and follows campaigns such as 'Waterslide' and 'Rollercoaster'.
The TV ad will be supported with print, outdoor, in-store and digital activity, including a YouTube viral starring actor David Hasslehoff.
Barclaycard has also become the first financial services brand to use Google+ Hangout to promote the technology.
PayTag is a small card, a third of the size of a normal credit card, which can be stuck to the back of a mobile phone. Once attached, payments of up to £15 – rising to £20 in June – can be made. Barclaycard is aiming to get one million customers using the device by the end of the year.
Katherine Whitton, consumer marketing director at Barclaycard, said the launch will further the brand’s reputation as an innovator in the contactless space.
She said: "We’ve been offering contactless payment for five years, and 2012 is a big year for contactless payment. We’re now committed to a more innovative approach through the mobile wallet."
Whitton said Barclaycard will be rolling out its contactless payment technology with Android handsets in the next "three to four months".
Barclaycard is understood to be reviewing its Freedom loyalty scheme, and has contacted merchant partners and customers about impending changes to the programme, amid reports it has not attracted enough partners.
In November, Barclaycard unveiled a new brand positioning based around the tagline 'Easier'. The payment brand is planning its next major brand campaign towards the end of the year.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Digital Insight and Analytics Consultant Direct Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000,
- Martin Sorrell earns 780 times more than average WPP employee
- 3 top tips on how to save an epic social media fail
- Lake Capital rejects demands of Engine's rebel shareholders
- Head lice-killing mousse launches in the UK with cartoon campaign
- Facebook's 'Buy' button: a leap too far?
- Beiersdorf postpones review after MAA criticisms of procedure