Hello! creates 3D Gary Barlow cover for Jubilee edition
By Nick Batten, mediaweek.co.uk, Tuesday, 29 May 2012 10:16AM
Hello! magazine is offering readers a closer look at this week's cover star Gary Barlow by rolling out an augmented reality app that presents a 3D image of the Take That singer and organiser of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee concert.
The app creates a "sculptural" 3D photograph of Barlow that can be viewed from any angle.
It was developed for Hello! by Digicave with Timeslice Films, which photographed Barlow with 42 Nikon DSLR cameras.
The app uses Qualcomm's augmented Reality platform, Vuforia.
Rosie Nixon, editor of Hello!, said: "This type of sculptural photography is set to revolutionise the publishing world and I am thrilled that Hello! is at the cutting-edge and leading the way.
"I hope our readers will enjoy this added bonus with Hello! this week – the opportunity to get up close with our cover star Gary Barlow, happy and glorious as if on the Buckingham Palace balcony in true 3D."
Callum Rex Reid, chief executive officer of Digicave, said: "Digicave and Timeslice Films are proud to introduce a first in media content creation.
"A milestone in mass 'televisual' experience was the coronation of the Queen. The milestone for sculptural photography is at the time of her Diamond Jubilee."
The issue featuring Barlow is out now.
Follow Nick Batten on Twitter @NickBatten2
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Senior Optimisation Manager (RTB) Digital Gurus £25000 - £42000 per annum, London
- Senior Category Manager - Tesco Jarlett de Grouchy £55000 - £60000 per annum + Car Allowance + Benefits, Weybridge
- Marketing Manager, Wokingham, up to £45k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: Great Benefits, Wokingham
- Account Manger - Marketing and Design Agency - Essex/Herts - £30k - NP072 Stonor £30k, West Essex
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- International Women's Day: "my gender is irrelevant" says Lisa Thomas
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio
- IPA's 2014 Women of Tomorrow competition winners revealed
- HSBC launches Hong Kong Rugby Sevens push