'Bigger. Fatter. Gypsier.' campaign will be investigated by watchdog
By Sarah Shearman, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 28 May 2012 05:50PM
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) is launching a formal investigation into Channel 4's 'Bigger. Fatter. Gypsier.' ad campaign for the documentary series 'My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding', in a U-turn from its previous decision not to.
Campaign first revealed in February this year that the ASA had decided not to investigate the the 'Bigger. Fatter. Gypsier.’ campaign despite receiving over 300 complaints that the ads were racist and offensive towards the travelling community.
Today the ASA has announced that following a recommendation from the Independent Reviewer of ASA adjudications, the ASA Council has decided that its original decision not to conduct a formal investigation into the complaints was "flawed".
The ad campaign, which was created by Channel 4’s in-house agency 4Creative, showed an image of traveller boys looking menacing and dressed up girls with the tagline 'Bigger. Fatter. Gypsier.'
Despite the complaints, the ASA originally decided not to investigate because, although the ads might not be to everyone's taste, both the images and the text reflected the tone and content of the programme they promoted.
The Irish Traveller Movement in Britain requested a review of the original decision by the ASA's independent reviewer, Sir Hayden Phillips. Phillips then asked the ASA to reconsider, though his requests are not binding.
The ASA said in a statement that Council had made its original decision not to launch a formal investigation, without knowing that the Irish Traveller Movement of Britain had complained and that this was "a material fact to which they should have had regard".
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Marketing Director Ball & Hoolahan £100,000 per annum, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Opportunity to Join the Blue Skies Agency Freelance Team Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £35000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent bonus + benefits, London (Greater) / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Opportunity to join the Blue Skies Creative Team Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent bonus + benefits, London (Greater) / Surrey
- Assistant Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £29,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Want a tactical ad? Should have gone to Specsavers
- Maxus confirmed as world's fastest growing media agency
- Greenpeace dresses up cats to help save tigers from extinction
- Why 2014 won't be the year of mobile advertising
- ITV's Adam Crozier: 'Work to be done' after losing out to C4 during World Cup
- Palestinian and Israeli bereaved families unite for 'anti-conflict' film