Times drops paywall for Jubilee weekend
The Times and The Sunday Times will throw their websites open and make The Sunday Times app available for a free trial this Saturday and Sunday (2 June and 3 June) to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
According to Times Newspapers, it is the first time the websites will offer free access since the paywall was erected in summer 2010.
It claims the move is intended to give a wider audience access to the content produced to celebrate the monarch's landmark 60th year on the throne.
Suzi Watford, marketing director, The Times and The Sunday Times, said: "To celebrate this historic occasion, we are opening up our award-winning websites so people can access the fantastic content on offer over the weekend and experience some of the many benefits of being a Times and Sunday Times subscriber."
There will also be a large-scale street-selling operation for the papers across London over the weekend.
Times Newspapers claims it is the culmination of a three-week editorial and marketing Jubilee campaign which included a 12-part collectible commemorative series charting the Queen's reign, posters, souvenir specials and a 30,000-ticket giveaway to the Battersea Park Jubilee Festival.
The company claims the latest figures for print and digital subscriptions to The Times and Sunday Times show a combined total of more than 290,000.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Account Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £30,000, Greater Manchester
- Communications Assistant AF Selection £16,000 - £20,000, Birmingham, West Midlands
- Digital Account Manager - Brand Accounts!! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits + Great Agency Culture, City of London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater), South East England
- Customer Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham