Times drops paywall for Jubilee weekend
The Times and The Sunday Times will throw their websites open and make The Sunday Times app available for a free trial this Saturday and Sunday (2 June and 3 June) to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
According to Times Newspapers, it is the first time the websites will offer free access since the paywall was erected in summer 2010.
It claims the move is intended to give a wider audience access to the content produced to celebrate the monarch's landmark 60th year on the throne.
Suzi Watford, marketing director, The Times and The Sunday Times, said: "To celebrate this historic occasion, we are opening up our award-winning websites so people can access the fantastic content on offer over the weekend and experience some of the many benefits of being a Times and Sunday Times subscriber."
There will also be a large-scale street-selling operation for the papers across London over the weekend.
Times Newspapers claims it is the culmination of a three-week editorial and marketing Jubilee campaign which included a 12-part collectible commemorative series charting the Queen's reign, posters, souvenir specials and a 30,000-ticket giveaway to the Battersea Park Jubilee Festival.
The company claims the latest figures for print and digital subscriptions to The Times and Sunday Times show a combined total of more than 290,000.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Account Manager Stopgap £30000 per annum + ongoing contract, London
- Creative Services Director Stopgap £50000 - £60000 per annum, London
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- Guardian launches three-tier membership scheme
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014