Peter Bingle set to join APPC after years of criticism
By Matt Cartmell, prweek.com, Thursday, 07 June 2012 09:41AM
Former Bell Pottinger Public Affairs chairman Peter Bingle is set to join the APPC following years of fierce criticism of the group.
Bingle, who is launching an agency named Peter Bingle Consulting, claimed that he is joining the group because it is now chaired by APCO vice-chair public affairs, Europe, Michael Burrell.
He has even suggested that he would like to lead the association at some point.
‘Having been its biggest critic for years I think that the time is now right to join the APPC,’ said Bingle. ‘I am a fan of Michael Burrell, who is a superb ambassador for the industry. Who knows what the future holds? Perhaps I might succeed Michael as chairman! Wouldn't that be fun?’
Bingle has been critical of the APPC for years, particularly its requirement for members to register their client lists on a quarterly basis.
He will be joining the APPC for the first time since 2000, when he briefly led agency GPC.
Meanwhile, Bingle has relaunched his controversial ‘Musings’ emails over the bank holiday weekend, which he stopped writing in 2011.
In one he commented on Tim Allan’s agency Portland, stating: ‘In any pitch process it is likely that the director of public affairs will play safe and appoint them. Why? Because everybody else has appointed them so there is no risk.
‘This dominance will last a few years and then a new kid will appear on the block.’
Bingle added: ‘I don’t believe that Mark Adams or Lionel Zetter speak for the industry. The challenge is to find somebody who does.’
Bingle left BPPA last month, as the Bell Pottinger Group prepares for an MBO led by Lord Bell.
This article was first published on prweek.com
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Copywriter Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, City of London
- Creative Artworker - Reigate ASG £25,000 - £28,000, Reigate
- Senior PR Account Executive / Junior Account Manager AF Selection £20,000 - £23,000, Lincolnshire
- Art Director/Head of Art Dynamic New Alliances £45000.00 - £50000.00 per annum, City of London