Facebook launches App Centre to showcase 'best social apps'
By Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Friday, 08 June 2012 11:04AM
Facebook has confirmed the launch of its App Centre, which will offer more than 600 mobile and web apps from brands including Nike+ GPS, Pinterest and Spotify.
Facebook first announced news of its plans for an app store as a way to drive additional revenue streams through payments on the same day it admitted that migration of its users to mobile may negatively affect revenues ahead of the IPO in May.
The App Centre aims to showcase "the best social apps" from across the web and is available on Facebook.com, as well as Facebook’s iOS and Android app.
At the moment the service is only available in the US but Facebook is intending to roll it out globally in the "coming weeks".
The centre helps users to discover apps for Facebook or directs them to Google and Android app stores if it has to be downloaded.
It will also allow developers to charge for Facebook apps for the first time and set up pages to promote their product on Facebook.
Consumers will need to use Facebook Credits to purchase the apps, meaning Facebook will take a 30% cut of revenue.
New apps created specifically for the App Centre include Ghost Recon Commander, Jetpack Joyride, and Ghosts of Mistwood.
The news comes in the same week Facebook announced it would be allowing advertisers to purchase mobile specific ad placements, rather then having to purchase them as part of a bundle, as part of the social network's efforts to boost mobile ad sales.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Web Shop Operations Process Lead (eCommerce) - Supermarket Chain Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Company Benefits Package , Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Digital Account Director - Leading Agency! Ascent Solutions Up to £50,000 + excellent benefits package, London (Greater)
- Brand Marketing Manager - Fast Growing Ladies Footwear Fashion Brand Recruitment Revolution £35,000, London (West), London (Greater)
- Digital Account Manager - Leading Agency! Ascent Solutions Up to £40,000 + Fantastic benefits!, Central London
- Digital Associate Director Aspire £225 - £275 per day, London
- Tesco Clubcard uses Twitter to pick out Christmas gift ideas
- Freeview launches singing toys campaign
- ASA bans 'strongly sexual' Giffgaff ad
- In pictures: Campaign Media Awards 2014
- Hammerson uses automated mechanical model to showcase Christmas gifts
- King backs new Candy Crush game with global ad push