Aviva and UK Athletics set to end £8m a-year sponsorship
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 13 June 2012 09:22AM
Aviva and UK Athletics are set to part ways on their flagship £8m a-year sponsorship deal, as the sports governing body moves to a multi-brand sponsorship model.
Aviva's relationship with UK Athletics dates back to 1998 and its current four-year deal, which ends this year, is thought to be worth around £8m a year.
Sources have told Marketing that that UK Athletics wants to introduce a new sponsorship model, which would spread the sponsorship across a number of brands.
UK Athletics is expecting that the London 2012 Olympics will create a big lift in its commercial proposition, as youngsters look to mimic Olympic stars such as Jessica Ennis.
UK Athletics is now talking to number of sponsorship agencies about the proposition of a multi-brand sponsorship approach.
This could still include Aviva as one of a number of five or six sponsors, instead of the top tier sponsor.
At the start of the year, McCain, the frozen food company, which is a lower tier, £1m a year sponsor of UK Athletics, decided not to renew its commercial with the governing body.
UK Athletics has appointed Sophia Warner, a sprinter with cerebral palsy and one of Britain's big medal hopes at this year's Paralympics, to the top role of commercial director of UK Athletics.
Warner, who previously worked as a marketing executive at BT and Nestle, will take up the role full-time later this year.
UK Athletics said it would not comment on commercial discussions. Aviva was unavailable for comment.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Digital Marketing Manager Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate., London (Central), London (Greater)
- Graphic Designer Creative Recruitment £60 - £80 per day, West London
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Notonthehighstreet.com launches brand campaign
- Publicis boss Maurice Lévy to step down in 2017 amid board shake-up