Morrisons trials coupon-at-till scheme as promotional war continues
Morrisons is running a coupon-at-till trial in its north east stores in a move that follows a similar initiative by rival Sainsbury's.
The trial coincides with Tesco boss Philip Clarke criticising the use of coupons in the market, during a media call following the company's first quarter results.
Morrisons is giving out "save £2 when you spend £40" coupons at tills in one of its Newcastle stores.
A Morrisons spokesman said the scheme is a "local trial of couponing in a handful of stores in the north east".
If successful, the initiative is likely roll out across Morrisons' estate.
The coupons offer money-off a basket spend or money-off specific products, which "are relevant and that shoppers value".
However, Morrisons does not run a loyalty programme such as Tesco Clubcard so tailored offers could prove a challenge.
The Morrisons spokesman adds that there is "no decision yet on further adoption".
Sainsbury's Brand Match initiative offers money-off coupons at tills, if a brand is cheaper at a rival retailer.
Retailers other than supermarkets are also focusing on coupon-at-till initiatives with Boots rolling personalised promotions at tills in December.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Art Director - Integrated Marketing Agency - West London - £40k - NP198 Stonor £40k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager, FMCG, Richmond Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £35000 - £48000 per annum, Benefits: +Fantastic benefits, Richmond upon Thames
- Online Analytics Manager, Telecoms, Slough Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £65000 per annum, Benefits: +Fantastic benefits, Slough
- Digital Strategist - iconic luxury brand - £55K-£65K Bamboo Crowd £55K-£65K, London (Greater)
- Social & Digital Director - iconic luxury brand - £50K-£55K Bamboo Crowd £50K-£55K, London (Greater)