Morrisons trials coupon-at-till scheme as promotional war continues
Morrisons is running a coupon-at-till trial in its north east stores in a move that follows a similar initiative by rival Sainsbury's.
The trial coincides with Tesco boss Philip Clarke criticising the use of coupons in the market, during a media call following the company's first quarter results.
Morrisons is giving out "save £2 when you spend £40" coupons at tills in one of its Newcastle stores.
A Morrisons spokesman said the scheme is a "local trial of couponing in a handful of stores in the north east".
If successful, the initiative is likely roll out across Morrisons' estate.
The coupons offer money-off a basket spend or money-off specific products, which "are relevant and that shoppers value".
However, Morrisons does not run a loyalty programme such as Tesco Clubcard so tailored offers could prove a challenge.
The Morrisons spokesman adds that there is "no decision yet on further adoption".
Sainsbury's Brand Match initiative offers money-off coupons at tills, if a brand is cheaper at a rival retailer.
Retailers other than supermarkets are also focusing on coupon-at-till initiatives with Boots rolling personalised promotions at tills in December.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Senior Marketing Manager EMR £65000 - £75000 per annum, London
- Account Manager - Exciting new agency opportunity ADLIB Up to c.£25k, Bath
- Planning Director SYLEX Recruitment £65000 - £75000 per annum, London
- Interim National Account Manager - Wholesale and C&C Better Placed Recruitment £Competitive + Car, North West England
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Facebook IQ reveals marketing to millennials is flawed
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Sir Martin Sorrell labels Omnicom CFO exit 'bizarre'
- Guardian joins forces with Telegraph for media planning tool
- OMD lands Liberty Global pan-Euro media