Morrisons trials coupon-at-till scheme as promotional war continues
Morrisons is running a coupon-at-till trial in its north east stores in a move that follows a similar initiative by rival Sainsbury's.
The trial coincides with Tesco boss Philip Clarke criticising the use of coupons in the market, during a media call following the company's first quarter results.
Morrisons is giving out "save £2 when you spend £40" coupons at tills in one of its Newcastle stores.
A Morrisons spokesman said the scheme is a "local trial of couponing in a handful of stores in the north east".
If successful, the initiative is likely roll out across Morrisons' estate.
The coupons offer money-off a basket spend or money-off specific products, which "are relevant and that shoppers value".
However, Morrisons does not run a loyalty programme such as Tesco Clubcard so tailored offers could prove a challenge.
The Morrisons spokesman adds that there is "no decision yet on further adoption".
Sainsbury's Brand Match initiative offers money-off coupons at tills, if a brand is cheaper at a rival retailer.
Retailers other than supermarkets are also focusing on coupon-at-till initiatives with Boots rolling personalised promotions at tills in December.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Account Manager - various accounts - up to £30k + bens Barker Graves Up to £30k plus bens, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - Branding Agency - CONTRACT & PERM Royds Raphael £45k-£50k+generous benefits & bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager / Account Manager - BRANDING & STRAGEGY Royds Raphael £38k-£45k+neg, London (Central), London (Greater)
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - ACCOUNT MANAGER Royds Raphael £35K+ & generous benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - DIGITAL AGENCY Live Recruitment £30000 - £37000 per annum, City of London
- Tesco Clubcard uses Twitter to pick out Christmas gift ideas
- Samsung launches first Christmas TV campaign in the UK
- O2 launches 'walk' campaign with Ed Sheeran
- BBH London promotes Caroline Pay to deputy ECD
- ASA bans 'strongly sexual' Giffgaff ad
- Hammerson uses automated mechanical model to showcase Christmas gifts