Morrisons trials coupon-at-till scheme as promotional war continues
Morrisons is running a coupon-at-till trial in its north east stores in a move that follows a similar initiative by rival Sainsbury's.
The trial coincides with Tesco boss Philip Clarke criticising the use of coupons in the market, during a media call following the company's first quarter results.
Morrisons is giving out "save £2 when you spend £40" coupons at tills in one of its Newcastle stores.
A Morrisons spokesman said the scheme is a "local trial of couponing in a handful of stores in the north east".
If successful, the initiative is likely roll out across Morrisons' estate.
The coupons offer money-off a basket spend or money-off specific products, which "are relevant and that shoppers value".
However, Morrisons does not run a loyalty programme such as Tesco Clubcard so tailored offers could prove a challenge.
The Morrisons spokesman adds that there is "no decision yet on further adoption".
Sainsbury's Brand Match initiative offers money-off coupons at tills, if a brand is cheaper at a rival retailer.
Retailers other than supermarkets are also focusing on coupon-at-till initiatives with Boots rolling personalised promotions at tills in December.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Category Manager Brand Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum + £4,500 car allowance+benefits, Marlow
- Freelance Artworker- 4 month contract Creative Recruitment £90 - £100 per day, Cambridge
- Performance Marketing - Biddable (PPC/Paid Social) - Ecommerce Salt £40000 per annum, London
- Coco de Mer launches X-rated ad with Rankin and TBWA
- Fallon introduces stuffed duck to launch Cadbury Puddles
- Betfair to call £15m European media review
- Dave Bedwood to leave M&C Saatchi
- Five black Pencils awarded at D&AD 2015
- Wonga rebrands as 'transparent and responsible' lender after hiring Fold7