Morrisons trials coupon-at-till scheme as promotional war continues
Morrisons is running a coupon-at-till trial in its north east stores in a move that follows a similar initiative by rival Sainsbury's.
The trial coincides with Tesco boss Philip Clarke criticising the use of coupons in the market, during a media call following the company's first quarter results.
Morrisons is giving out "save £2 when you spend £40" coupons at tills in one of its Newcastle stores.
A Morrisons spokesman said the scheme is a "local trial of couponing in a handful of stores in the north east".
If successful, the initiative is likely roll out across Morrisons' estate.
The coupons offer money-off a basket spend or money-off specific products, which "are relevant and that shoppers value".
However, Morrisons does not run a loyalty programme such as Tesco Clubcard so tailored offers could prove a challenge.
The Morrisons spokesman adds that there is "no decision yet on further adoption".
Sainsbury's Brand Match initiative offers money-off coupons at tills, if a brand is cheaper at a rival retailer.
Retailers other than supermarkets are also focusing on coupon-at-till initiatives with Boots rolling personalised promotions at tills in December.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Planner Direct Recruitment £60,000 - £80,000, London
- Senior Planner Direct Recruitment £60,000 - £70,000 + benefits, London
- Planner, Top Direct Marketing/Digital Agency London Direct Recruitment £45,000 - £65,000, London
- Planner Direct Recruitment £50,000 - £70,000, London
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show