UK supermarkets enjoy Jubilee boon
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 13 June 2012 12:56PM
Tesco, Sainsbury's and other UK supermarkets have reported a year-on-year sales hike of 12.5% in the week leading up to the Jubilee celebrations buoyed by customers rushing out to buy beer and snacks, according to figures from Nielsen.
Tesco said it had reported a record-breaking week in the run-up to the Jubilee, when Tesco reported more than £1bn in sales.
Sainsbury’s also highlighted "strong sales" in the run up to the Jubilee celebrations.
Neilsen's data reveals that in the week ending June 2, sales at UK grocery retailers were up 12.5% on the year, continuing momentum from the week previous when sales were up 5.7%.
The two weeks contrast with subdued trading in early May, as customers shied away from supermarkets because of the cold and wet weather.
During May, the Nielsen data reveals that crisps and snacks were up 10%), confectionery up 9%, soft drinks up 7% and beers, wine spirits up 7%.
Mike Watkins, Nielsen senior manager for retailer services, said: "Overall, May was a month of better momentum across food retailing, with the major supermarkets issuing a deluge of cash savings and discounts, actively encouraging shoppers to visit and spend."
|% share, 12 wks to 28/05/11||% share, 12 wks to 26/05/12||% value change vs same 12 Wks 1-yr ago|
|Marks & Spencer||3.5%||3.5%||2.0%|
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Group Head- Ad Tech, Programmatic Ultimate Asset £70000 - £75000 per annum + UNBEATABLE COMMISSION & benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Integrated Project Manager Major Players £350 - £400 per day, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Traffic Manager / Resource Manager Major Players £30000 - £35000 per annum + PRO RATA, London (Central), London (Greater)
- DIGITAL PLANNING DIRECTOR - MEDIA AGENCY Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Virgin Holidays launches digital Caribbean push
- Bloomberg appoints Matt Teeman as commercial director EMEA
- Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned for suggesting alcohol conquers boredom
- Yahoo appoints Marc Bignell as head of trading for the EMEA region
- Samsung celebrates Prince George's birthday
- McCann picked to resurrect Homepride's Fred