UK supermarkets enjoy Jubilee boon
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 13 June 2012 12:56PM
Tesco, Sainsbury's and other UK supermarkets have reported a year-on-year sales hike of 12.5% in the week leading up to the Jubilee celebrations buoyed by customers rushing out to buy beer and snacks, according to figures from Nielsen.
Tesco said it had reported a record-breaking week in the run-up to the Jubilee, when Tesco reported more than £1bn in sales.
Sainsbury’s also highlighted "strong sales" in the run up to the Jubilee celebrations.
Neilsen's data reveals that in the week ending June 2, sales at UK grocery retailers were up 12.5% on the year, continuing momentum from the week previous when sales were up 5.7%.
The two weeks contrast with subdued trading in early May, as customers shied away from supermarkets because of the cold and wet weather.
During May, the Nielsen data reveals that crisps and snacks were up 10%), confectionery up 9%, soft drinks up 7% and beers, wine spirits up 7%.
Mike Watkins, Nielsen senior manager for retailer services, said: "Overall, May was a month of better momentum across food retailing, with the major supermarkets issuing a deluge of cash savings and discounts, actively encouraging shoppers to visit and spend."
|% share, 12 wks to 28/05/11||% share, 12 wks to 26/05/12||% value change vs same 12 Wks 1-yr ago|
|Marks & Spencer||3.5%||3.5%||2.0%|
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior copywriter story uk limited Negotiable depending on experience, Edinburgh
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Marketing Executive Ball & Hoolahan £24,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director, maternity contract - high end creative for fashion, retail, luxury Story Recruitment £45-50k dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- What the end of Page 3 means for advertising
- Havas partners with Facebook's Atlas for multi-device ad targeting
- Daily Mirror publishes its own tits on Page 3
- 'This girl can' tops Campaign Viral Chart
- John Brown Media appoints Rebekah Billingsley to head of digital and content strategy role
- 'You don't have to explain yourself if you are getting the job done,' says Tracy De Groose on work and motherhood