BA psyches out overseas athletes with giant Jessica Ennis image
British Airways has painted a huge image of British Olympic heptathlete Jessica Ennis under the Heathrow flight path to remind overseas athletes of Team GB's home advantage.
The giant image of Ennis, the size of 15 tennis courts, includes the words "welcome to our turf" and aims to spark a Twitter buzz via a #homeadvantage hashtag.
Cake created the concept as part of activity to draw attention to the role of British Airways as the official airline partner of London 2012.
The campaign is also aimed at welcoming home Team GB and ParalympicsGB supporters as the airline estimates 50,000 ex-pats will return to the UK this summer.
Luisa Fernandez, British Airways sponsorship manager, said: "Whether you're a Brit coming home, or an athlete arriving in for the London 2012 Games, this celebratory message reminds us all of the power of the home crowd and how important it is to get behind Team GB and ParalympicsGB."
British Airways claims to have supported over 1,500 UK Sport athletes and their families from 28 Olympic and 20 Paralympic sports with flights to train and compete abroad.
During the Games the airline will host 'Park Live presented by British Airways' at the Olympic Park, which is being positioned as a place for fans to go before or after watching an event or as a destination in itself, in a similar manner to Henman Hill at Wimbledon.
The parkland area can accommodate up to 10,000 visitors and will feature giant screens showing the live action, as well as a British Airways stage for interviews with athletes.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Assistant Marketing Manager (Journals) - Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Company Benefits Package , Oxford, Oxfordshire
- Account Executive - Digital Sales & Marketing Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £25000 per annum, Benefits: Great benefits plus unlimited holiday, London
- Senior Account Director Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40,000 to £50,000, Balsall Common
- Senior Designer, Entertainment Sky Negotiable, London
- Creative Designer, 3D - Brand, Service and Product Innovation Bamboo Crowd £30,000 - £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- The man who made Grey matter
- Yorkshire Tea launches £5 million campaign
- Eric Cantona to swim Channel if Brits agree Kronenbourg 1664 is best beer
- Beacons installed on 500 London buses by Exterion Media
- MediaCom's Lisa Humphreys flies flag for media in '35 women under 35' list
- Asda brings back 'pocket tap' and adopts Walmart strap line in TV ad