BA psyches out overseas athletes with giant Jessica Ennis image
British Airways has painted a huge image of British Olympic heptathlete Jessica Ennis under the Heathrow flight path to remind overseas athletes of Team GB's home advantage.
The giant image of Ennis, the size of 15 tennis courts, includes the words "welcome to our turf" and aims to spark a Twitter buzz via a #homeadvantage hashtag.
Cake created the concept as part of activity to draw attention to the role of British Airways as the official airline partner of London 2012.
The campaign is also aimed at welcoming home Team GB and ParalympicsGB supporters as the airline estimates 50,000 ex-pats will return to the UK this summer.
Luisa Fernandez, British Airways sponsorship manager, said: "Whether you're a Brit coming home, or an athlete arriving in for the London 2012 Games, this celebratory message reminds us all of the power of the home crowd and how important it is to get behind Team GB and ParalympicsGB."
British Airways claims to have supported over 1,500 UK Sport athletes and their families from 28 Olympic and 20 Paralympic sports with flights to train and compete abroad.
During the Games the airline will host 'Park Live presented by British Airways' at the Olympic Park, which is being positioned as a place for fans to go before or after watching an event or as a destination in itself, in a similar manner to Henman Hill at Wimbledon.
The parkland area can accommodate up to 10,000 visitors and will feature giant screens showing the live action, as well as a British Airways stage for interviews with athletes.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Account Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £12 - £15 per hour, Cheshunt
- Senior Account Manager Purple Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Integrated Designer - AXA Gemini Search £25000.00 - £32000.00 per annum + good benefits, London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'
- 'We will always love M&S' says Walker Media in goodbye statement