Clouds gather around Western Europe ad market
By Daniel Farey-Jones, mediaweek.co.uk, Tuesday, 19 June 2012 11:28AM
Two media agency forecasts have warned of a slowdown in adspend in Western Europe this year as drops in Spain and Italy offset growth in the UK.
Interpublic's MagnaGlobal intelligence unit is the more pessimistic of the two, predicting a 0.2% decline for the region in 2012, after revising its December forecast of 1.1% growth.
Publicis Groupe's ZenithOptimedia has cut its March outlook of 1.5% growth to 0.4% growth.
The Spanish market is in dire straits, with MagnaGlobal expecting a drop of 8.4% and "the fourth year of downturn in the last five years", and Zenith forecasting a drop of 12%.
MagnaGlobal has now predicted Italy will also go into reverse, which is backed up by ZenithOptimedia's forecast of a 5% drop.
However, the UK is tipped by both agencies to escape the gloom on the continent.
ZenithOptimedia pegs the country's growth this year at 3.5%, down slightly from its 3.7% prediction in December.
MagnaGlobal has gone for 2.4%, commenting that the two big events of 2012, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the London Olympic Games, have proven even stronger than anticipated.
Optimism remains the prevailing mood at the global prediction level, although ZenithOptimedia has downgraded its forecast from 4.8% in March, to 4.3%.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Account Executive - London - £20k Fill Recruitment £20,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Project Manager Purple Consultancy £35000 - £45000 per annum, Berkshire
- Freelance DM Project Manager Purple Consultancy £36000 - £42000 per annum, London
- Business Director/Managing Partner Purple Consultancy £80000 - £90000 per annum, London
- Graphic Designer AF Selection £18,000 - £26,000, Derbyshire
- Katharine Viner becomes first female editor-in-chief of Guardian News & Media
- Tesco media review pits Initiative against MediaCom and ZenithOptimedia
- Google's European leader says viewing habits are 'changing dramatically'
- Comparethemarket.com offers two for one cinema tickets with Meerkat Movies
- 'Advertisers are snake oil salesmen', says Peter Oborne
- 7 things Proximity has learned in the new Omnicom building