VisitBritain recruits Becker and Lewis for Great campaign
VisitBritain has signed sporting stars Boris Becker, Lennox Lewis and Colin Montgomerie to appear in the latest phase of its 'Great' campaign, in a move to capitalise on the UK's involvement with sport.
Three-time Wimbledon champion Becker, Olympic gold medallist Lewis, and Montgomerie, a Ryder Cup winning captain, have each created a personal film talking about what makes the UK special to them.
The films will be broadcast across digital channels www.visitbritain.com,and www.visitbritain.tv, and promoted through the tourism body's Facebook page, Love UK, and its @VisitBritain Twitter account. They will use the 'Great Britain - You're invited' messaging.
Commenting on the campaign, Becker said: "I've been called Britain's favourite German, but quite honestly I don't think the list is very long."
With the Olympics just weeks away, VisitBritain is expecting a surge in visitor numbers.
It believes the UK is at the start of a "golden period" that will have the country hosting sporting athletes from around the world for the next seven years.
After the Olympics, Britain will host the Rugby League World Cup in 2013; the Commonwealth Games and Ryder Cup in 2014; the IRB Rugby World Cup in 2015, and the World Athletics Championship and the ICC Cricket World Cup, both in 2017.
The films are part of the tourism body’s 'Great' campaign with the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), which aims to boost tourism numbers in the UK by 4.6 million by 2013 and passenger spend by £2.3bn.
Sandie Dawe, chief executive, VisitBritain, said: "Britain's sporting heritage is being highlighted this year like never before, helping us to showcase a welcoming exciting Britain.
"This puts us on the wish list for visitors from new growth markets in Asia and Latin America, and goes a long way to help revitalise our appeal in core markets such as Europe and the US."
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Glasgow 2014: the fight for Commonwealth Games sponsors
- VisitBritain targets Chinese tourists
- Turkey hunts agencies for 2013 international ad campaign
- Brazil capitalises on budding host-city status in tactical marketing drive
- VisitBritain and BA plot £5m post-Olympics campaign
- Marketing the Queen: brands face a Diamond Jubilee balancing act
- VisitEngland calls on celebrities to kick start £5m domestic tourism push
- Victoria Beckham champions 'Great' Britain fashion push
- VisitBritain embarks on global campaign to attract tourists beyond the Olympics
- VisitBritain and DCMS in £25m global tourism push
- Digital Account Director - Creative Agency - London Sphere Digital 50-70k +bonus +benefits, London, South East
- Managing Director - Equity potential DU Group £120,000 - £150,000, South Oxfordshire
- Social Media Manager-International Media Agency Norton Leigh up to 40k plus benefits, Central London
- Web Designer:- (Fashion Web, Digital, Layout, Conceptual) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £45000 per annum + Negotiable, London
- Web & Print Designer (Integrated, Visual, Print, Digital) Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum + Negotiable, Waltham Abbey