BBC awards MEC £5m planning and buying account
By Nick Batten, mediaweek.co.uk, Wednesday, 20 June 2012 04:57PM
MEC Manchester has been appointed to handle the BBC's media planning and buying account for the Licence Fee and the broadcaster's Marketing and Audience units following a competitive pitch.
It is understood that the account will now switch location from MPG Media Contacts' and PHD's London-based offices to MEC’s Manchester base.
Agencies involved in the pitch included the two incumbents MPG Media Contacts and PHD, who held an equal share of the account and MEC's sister agency Maxus along with Interpublic Group's Initiative.
MPG Media Contacts was responsibile for the Marketing and Audience unit work on the account while PHD held the Licence Fee account.
The BBC has recently moved a significant part of its broadcast activity to the Salford Quays area of Manchester.
At the time the pitch was announced Peter Kirk, head of sales and marketing for BBC TV Licensing, said: "The type of media bought by the BBC has changed over the last few years, with a steady rise in digital space and outdoor media.
"More than half of the media bought by BBC Marketing & Audiences last year was digital, giving us the opportunity to communicate with our audiences using display and mobile channels."
The business is expected to be awarded to MEC on an initial three year tenure.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater), South East England
- Customer Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 + c/a, South East England
- Senior Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + car or c/a, London (Greater)
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham