Greggs launches concept store and considers loyalty card
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 25 June 2012 12:58PM
Greggs is plotting a major revamp of its stores and is also poised to introduce a loyalty card in a move to cash in on its growing popularity, following the pasty tax row.
Greggs, which has around 1,600 stores across the country, has sounded out interest in the possibility of launching a loyalty card. It has emailed customers about the idea and asked for feedback.
Along with the loyalty card, Greggs is also considering a pre-paid card that customers could top up online or by phone.
The high-street baker is also introducing a concept store to the market. The store, called Greggs The Bakery, has opened in its home town of Newcastle.
The concept store boasts décor which is more upmarket than the regular Greggs stores. It also offers 75 new product lines, which will be on sale along with Greg's flagship products such as sausage rolls and pasties.
The new products include a range of artisan and crusty breads freshly baked on the premises every day, and cakes, as well as confectionery including chocolate and orange scones, cheesecakes and giant cupcakes. Pizzas and made-to-order sandwiches will also be sold.
The concept store could, over time, be rolled out across a number of Greggs outlets.
The Greggs brand received a fillip after it forced chancellor George Osborne into an embarrassing U-turn over a plan to add 20% to hot savouries.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Planning Director, £100k - £120k (could be more). Leading top 10 ATL / Advertising Agency MODA consult £100k - £120k, possibly more for the right candidate, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Marketing & Communications Manager Environmental Scientifics Group Competitive salary + benefits, Bretby, Burton-on-Trent
- Pimm's launches weather activated OOH campaign
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Tango returns to advertising after two years with off-brand TV ad
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media
- Why D&AD's first Black Pencil for Radio in 32 years is significant
- Procter & Gamble YouTube video banned