Greggs launches concept store and considers loyalty card
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 25 June 2012 12:58PM
Greggs is plotting a major revamp of its stores and is also poised to introduce a loyalty card in a move to cash in on its growing popularity, following the pasty tax row.
Greggs, which has around 1,600 stores across the country, has sounded out interest in the possibility of launching a loyalty card. It has emailed customers about the idea and asked for feedback.
Along with the loyalty card, Greggs is also considering a pre-paid card that customers could top up online or by phone.
The high-street baker is also introducing a concept store to the market. The store, called Greggs The Bakery, has opened in its home town of Newcastle.
The concept store boasts décor which is more upmarket than the regular Greggs stores. It also offers 75 new product lines, which will be on sale along with Greg's flagship products such as sausage rolls and pasties.
The new products include a range of artisan and crusty breads freshly baked on the premises every day, and cakes, as well as confectionery including chocolate and orange scones, cheesecakes and giant cupcakes. Pizzas and made-to-order sandwiches will also be sold.
The concept store could, over time, be rolled out across a number of Greggs outlets.
The Greggs brand received a fillip after it forced chancellor George Osborne into an embarrassing U-turn over a plan to add 20% to hot savouries.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Campaign Manager JV Recruitment £24000 - £26000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Greater Manchester
- Marketing Assistant - 6 Month Contract - Richmond Ninesharp Negotiable, Richmond upon Thames
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014
- Notonthehighstreet.com launches brand campaign
- Bosch secures sponsorship deal with Channel 4's Sunday Brunch
- Publicis boss Maurice Lévy to step down in 2017 amid board shake-up