EDF unveils major European London 2012 campaign
EDF, the owner of UK subsidiary EDF Energy, is launching a multimillion-pound London 2012 campaign across Europe to highlight its role in ‘powering’ the Olympics.
The TV campaign for the event’s official electricity supplier will use the strapline ‘Helping London 2012 shine brighter. EDF powering the Games’. It will be accompanied by a major outdoor push.
The humorous execution features cycling gold medallist Victoria Pendleton and shows EDF engineers with little sporting ability ‘testing’
The campaign, created by Paris-based CLM BBDO, with UK media buying by MPG Media Contacts, will run on the Continent from 6 July before its UK debut during the Games. The 12-week heavyweight outdoor push breaks this week. It will target international visitors via ad ‘takeovers’ of London City Airport and King’s Cross St Pancras railway station. Other major transport hubs, including Waterloo and Westminster stations, will also display the ads.
EDF claims the activity at Westminster will be the ‘largest brand presence’ in the Tube station’s history, with ads on the Jubilee line platform aimed at consumers travelling to the Olympic Park in Stratford, East London. It will focus on 36 athletes from ‘Team EDF’, including Pendleton and swimmer Eleanor Simmonds.
Gareth Wynn, London 2012 programme director at EDF, said the positioning of ads at transport hubs is designed to ensure that those attending the Games ‘leave in the knowledge that EDF is proud to be powering London 2012’.
EDF Energy is already running separate athletics-themed TV ads, which feature its ‘orange blob’ brand character and promote its rewards scheme.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 - £30000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Strategic Planner The Great & The Good £55000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Planner, CRM, Freelance, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £300 per day, London (Greater)
- PR Team Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Virgin Holidays launches digital Caribbean push
- Bloomberg appoints Matt Teeman as commercial director EMEA
- Yahoo appoints Marc Bignell as head of trading for the EMEA region
- Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned for suggesting alcohol conquers boredom
- McCann picked to resurrect Homepride's Fred
- Radio Times: 50 years of Doctor Who covers