Microsoft splashes $1.2bn on business social network Yammer
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 26 June 2012 09:00AM
Microsoft has acquired corporate social networking company Yammer, for $1.2bn (£769m), which it intends to integrate with Office and Skype, once the deal has been approved.
Yammer launched in 2008. The service allows companies to set up private social networks for their employees. It now has five million members and employs 85 staff.
Yammer will be integrated into Microsoft products, including Microsoft Dynnamics, Office 365, Skype and Sharepoint.
It has not disclosed whether there will be personnel changes at the business if the deal, which is subject to regulatory approval, goes through.
Steve Ballmer, chief executive of Microsoft, said: "The acquisition of Yammer underscores our commitment to deliver technology that businesses need and people love."
Last week Microsoft unveiled its first family of tablet devices, dubbed Surface, which will run on its new Windows 8 operating system, stepping up competition with Apple.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Account Director - brand, digital and communications - £55-65k Story Recruitment £55-65k plus bonus dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager - strategic brand consultancy - £24-28k Story Recruitment £24-28k plus bonus dep on exp, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Luxury Brands Story Recruitment £32-38k dependent on experience, Central London
- Account Manager / Senior Account Manager - branding and comms - retail / media / leisure Story Recruitment £34 - 44k depending on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Consultant / Senior Brand Strategist Story Recruitment £70-80k+ dependent on experience, Central London