Microsoft splashes $1.2bn on business social network Yammer
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 26 June 2012 09:00AM
Microsoft has acquired corporate social networking company Yammer, for $1.2bn (£769m), which it intends to integrate with Office and Skype, once the deal has been approved.
Yammer launched in 2008. The service allows companies to set up private social networks for their employees. It now has five million members and employs 85 staff.
Yammer will be integrated into Microsoft products, including Microsoft Dynnamics, Office 365, Skype and Sharepoint.
It has not disclosed whether there will be personnel changes at the business if the deal, which is subject to regulatory approval, goes through.
Steve Ballmer, chief executive of Microsoft, said: "The acquisition of Yammer underscores our commitment to deliver technology that businesses need and people love."
Last week Microsoft unveiled its first family of tablet devices, dubbed Surface, which will run on its new Windows 8 operating system, stepping up competition with Apple.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- DIGITAL ACCOUNT MANAGER / £35K + Benefits Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, City of London
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show