Google tipped to unveil first tablet device
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 27 June 2012 09:20AM
Google is planning to unveil its first tablet device at its I/O developer conference in California this week, according to reports.
According to Gizomodo, which claims to have seen leaked specifications, the seven-inch Android device will go on sale for less than $200, which is around the same price point as Amazon’s Kindle Fire, undercutting the $399 starting price of Apple’s iPad.
The device built with Asus, in a similar way to Google’s Nexus phone, is intended to provide a ‘beacon’ for manufacturers developing on the Android tablet operating system.
According to the site, the device will run on ‘Jelly Bean’, the latest version of the Android operating system, also to be revealed at the conference.
The expected launch will see Google strengthen its credentials as a hardware business and follows on from the launch of its Chromebook computers last year.
Last week, Microsoft unveiled its first tablet family, but is yet to announce a launch date or pricing.
Google declined to comment on the report.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- PLANNER - INTEGRATED MARKETING AGENCY Live Recruitment Ã‚£35000 - Ã‚£50000 per annum + Excellent, London
- Senior PR & Comms Officer Stopgap Ã‚£32000 - Ã‚£34700 per annum, Reading
- Senior Account Director - brand, digital and communications - £55-65k Story Recruitment £55-65k plus bonus dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager - strategic brand consultancy - £24-28k Story Recruitment £24-28k plus bonus dep on exp, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Luxury Brands Story Recruitment £32-38k dependent on experience, Central London