Elton John and John Barrowman back gay rights campaign
Elton John and 'Torchwood' star John Barrowman have thrown their weight behind the Kaleidoscope Trust's gay rights digital campaign, which launches toady (4 July) and calls for an end to laws that criminalise homosexuality.
The campaign calls on the public to support the human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people by signing up to an international protest.
The campaign features a video by M&C Saatchi and Twitter activity that directs consumers to the Kaleidoscope Trust website to sign up to the protest.
The video features a number of situations in which ordinary people are abused, discriminated against and beaten up for having blue eyes, being blond or brunette, being over the age of 40 or being bald.
The copy says, "Imagine if it were illegal to be you. Presently 78 countries persecute people for being gay. In five of those the maximum penalty is death".
The marketing campaign comes in the lead up to World Pride, with the London march and festival taking place on Saturday (7 July).
Harjeet Johal, deputy executive director of the Kaleidoscope Trust, said: "It is hoped that this film will come as a timely reminder that whatever freedoms we may enjoy in Britain, those same freedoms are denied to millions of others around the globe.
"London will be hosting a 'World Pride' this weekend. While we celebrate our own freedoms we are determined that nobody should forget the millions of people who are made criminals in their own countries because of their sexuality.
"It should never be a crime to be gay."
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Digital Account Director Lipton Fleming £45000 - £55000 per annum, London
- Head of Video Aspire £60000.00 - £70000.00 per annum, London
- Senior Demand Generation Manager Salt £45000 - £55000 per annum + Bonus, London