Elton John and John Barrowman back gay rights campaign
Elton John and 'Torchwood' star John Barrowman have thrown their weight behind the Kaleidoscope Trust's gay rights digital campaign, which launches toady (4 July) and calls for an end to laws that criminalise homosexuality.
The campaign calls on the public to support the human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people by signing up to an international protest.
The campaign features a video by M&C Saatchi and Twitter activity that directs consumers to the Kaleidoscope Trust website to sign up to the protest.
The video features a number of situations in which ordinary people are abused, discriminated against and beaten up for having blue eyes, being blond or brunette, being over the age of 40 or being bald.
The copy says, "Imagine if it were illegal to be you. Presently 78 countries persecute people for being gay. In five of those the maximum penalty is death".
The marketing campaign comes in the lead up to World Pride, with the London march and festival taking place on Saturday (7 July).
Harjeet Johal, deputy executive director of the Kaleidoscope Trust, said: "It is hoped that this film will come as a timely reminder that whatever freedoms we may enjoy in Britain, those same freedoms are denied to millions of others around the globe.
"London will be hosting a 'World Pride' this weekend. While we celebrate our own freedoms we are determined that nobody should forget the millions of people who are made criminals in their own countries because of their sexuality.
"It should never be a crime to be gay."
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Junior Managing Director - Branded Content and Experiential Agency Bamboo Crowd £80000 - £90000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director / Senior Account Director - Innovative Advertising Agency Bamboo Crowd £55000 - £65000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Publicis boss Maurice Lévy to step down in 2017 amid board shake-up
- Sometimes collaboration, not innovation, can be the key to winning campaigns
- Virgin Trains spends £8 million on advertising to refocus on its brand
- WPP challenges Govt review