Samsung and Mike Skinner team up to break emerging band
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 04 July 2012 12:22PM
Samsung has teamed-up with The Streets frontman Mike Skinner to help break emerging band Man Like Me.
The technology giant has rolled out a video, created by Jam, which features the band members talking about their daily routine.
The band is filmed making music and discussing how the Samsung Galaxy Note handset helps them to do this. The video also features the band’s mentor Mike Skinner.
Samsung intends to launch one of the band's tracks and is supporting the activity with a Twitter campaign.
The activity forms part of Samsung's wider #breakfree campaign, revealed by Marketing, which based on a strategy to align the brand with indie arts and culture to highlight the ‘creative potential’ of the Note.
The first film in the 'Breakfree' series, which launched last month, featured "guerrilla knitter" Olek travelling the UK in a knitted taxi and adorning landmarks with colourful knitted items.
Olek's tour included a visit to Merseyside, where she dressed Anthony Gormley's Iron Men sculpture in knitted jumpsuits, an act that grabbed headlines last month before Samsung's involvement became public.
Although many brands have had a long-standing relationship with music, with the proliferation of digital music more of them are turning to the medium to establish a closer and more emotional connection with consumers.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater), South East England
- Customer Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 + c/a, South East England
- Senior Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + car or c/a, London (Greater)
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham