GoCompare ad hit with 43 complaints in two days
The latest GoCompare ad that features sports presenter Sue Barker attempting to destroy the brand's well-known character Gio Compario with a bazooka, has been deluged with complaints just days after airing.
The ad by Dare has received 43 complaints since airing on Monday night, according to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which said consumers called the ad offensive and had the potential of causing harm to children.
The advertising watchdog is in the process of assessing the ad and has not yet made a decision if investigation is necessary.
The ASA has the power to ban or place a scheduling restriction on the ad if it finds it could be harmful to children.
The ad shows Barker dressed in a balaclava aiming at Gio Compario with a bazooka, as he serenades a young couple in his signature style.
When the gun is fired, a crater appears where Compario was standing, but the missile has missed the singer.
The ad ends with the new strapline, "GoCompare: Saving the nation."
The ad, created by Dare, was preceded by a week-long teaser campaign across Twitter and outdoor.
Toby Horry, managing director, Dare, told Campaign: "Clearly no offence was intended because Gio Compario is a fictional character in a fictional world, and if the ASA gets in touch then we will act accordingly."
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @loullamae_es
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Media Senior Executive - Mobile - Leading Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- SENIOR DIGITAL PLANNER - INTEGRATED AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £70000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Gatwick rolls out 'guess the X-ray' competition
- Dove launches first cinema campaign with 'real beauty' sequel
- IAB: ad is 'viewable' if half of it is seen for one second
- Powerade launches global World Cup campaign
- We Are Pi wins Wrangler's European creative account