GoCompare ad hit with 43 complaints in two days
By Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 05 July 2012 09:11AM
The latest GoCompare ad that features sports presenter Sue Barker attempting to destroy the brand's well-known character Gio Compario with a bazooka, has been deluged with complaints just days after airing.
The ad by Dare has received 43 complaints since airing on Monday night, according to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which said consumers called the ad offensive and had the potential of causing harm to children.
The advertising watchdog is in the process of assessing the ad and has not yet made a decision if investigation is necessary.
The ASA has the power to ban or place a scheduling restriction on the ad if it finds it could be harmful to children.
The ad shows Barker dressed in a balaclava aiming at Gio Compario with a bazooka, as he serenades a young couple in his signature style.
When the gun is fired, a crater appears where Compario was standing, but the missile has missed the singer.
The ad ends with the new strapline, "GoCompare: Saving the nation."
The ad, created by Dare, was preceded by a week-long teaser campaign across Twitter and outdoor.
Toby Horry, managing director, Dare, told Campaign: "Clearly no offence was intended because Gio Compario is a fictional character in a fictional world, and if the ASA gets in touch then we will act accordingly."
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @loullamae_es
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Comms Acount Director- Leading Beauty FMCG - £55K Ultimate Asset £45000 - £55000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Account Manager - SPORTS BRAND - £35K Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Account Manager! BRAND LED ACCOUNTS!! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager - Branding up to £39k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £39000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Want a tactical ad? Should have gone to Specsavers
- Maxus confirmed as world's fastest growing media agency
- Greenpeace dresses up cats to help save tigers from extinction
- Why 2014 won't be the year of mobile advertising
- ITV's Adam Crozier: 'Work to be done' after losing out to C4 during World Cup
- Palestinian and Israeli bereaved families unite for 'anti-conflict' film