Morrisons cancels inaugural music festival MFest
By Mark Banham, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 06 July 2012 01:35PM
Supermarket chain Morrisons has cancelled MFest, its first foray into the music event space, due to "adverse weather conditions" expected to hit the site at Harewood House in Leeds over the weekend.
The two-day event was due to take place on 7 and 8 July, and was expected to attract up to 15,000 visitors a day. Acts confirmed on the bill included 'The X Factor' winner Matt Cardle and runner-up Cher Lloyd, along with Texas, Soul II Soul, Human League, Inspiral Carpets and Paul Heaton, former front man of The Beautiful South and The Housemartins.
Michelin-starred chefs including Aldo Zilli and Atul Kochhar were booked to provide cooking demonstrations at the festival, using the supermarket’s produce.
A message on the MFest site said: "It is with our deepest regret that due to the adverse weather conditions leading up to this event, in conjunction with the extreme weather warning as issued by the met office for the weekend, we were left with no other decision than to abandon this weekend's MFest.
"This is a joint decision made between the promoter, the production team, health and safety and Harewood House. The public's health and safety is of paramount concern, therefore it would be irresponsible to continue however disappointed we all are."
Information on ticket refunds will be issued on Monday 9 July, representatives of MFest said.
GMG Radio's Real network had signed a partnership with Morrisons to be the exclusive media partner of the festival.
Last month, Marketing asked if the adverse weather conditions might ruin brands' summer marketing plans.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Account Manager / Account Director - Beauty Major Players £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, London
- Planning Account Manager - Major Technology Brand Lipton Fleming £30000 - £36000 per annum, London
- Account Director - Major Technology Brand Lipton Fleming £55000 - £59000 per annum, London
- PR ACCOUNT MANAGER Live Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits, Solihull
- Social and Content Director - Client-side! Ultimate Asset £75000 per annum + benefits, Hammersmith and Fulham
- The man who made Grey matter
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch
- Yorkshire Tea launches £5 million campaign
- Eric Cantona to swim Channel if Brits agree Kronenbourg 1664 is best beer
- Heineken selects Publicis Worldwide to be lead global creative agency
- Beacons installed on 500 London buses by Exterion Media