Amazon knocks Google off top spot in latest brand polls
Amazon has knocked internet giant Google off the top spot to rank as the UK's most highly rated consumer brand, while the BBC climbs to fifth place despite consumer criticism of its Jubilee coverage, according to new figures.
The YouGov top 20 brands, compiled by daily brand tracker BrandIndex, reported the loss of Google’s top position in its biannual league table.
The new rankings means that Google has been toppled from the top spot for the first time in two years.
BBC iPlayer entered the top 20 in third place, ahead of Marks & Spencer in fourth and closely followed by the BBC brand in fifth.
YouGov said the broadcaster's high ranking underpinned its place as one of the UK’s masterbrands, even after "public condemnation" of its reporting of the Royal Jubilee Pageant.
Samsung entered the top 20 alongside Freeview and Dyson, pushing out Walkers, Panasonic and Thorntons. Dove, which entered the top 20 in YouGov’s 2011 rankings, reported in January, has also dropped out of the top margins.
YouGov said Amazon’s rise to the number one spot demonstrates the brand’s dominance in the online retail space, supported by Amazon’s recent signing with Waterstones to sell its e-reader.
Google’s fall however, "indicates that consumer perception of the brand, which many perceive as ‘untouchable’, is starting to wane", noting Google’s privacy issues and its "flop" product Google+, may have "dented" its brand image.
However, the brand tracker highlighted the company’s innovations, such as Google Glasses, as a re-enforcer of its status as a pioneer in its category.
YouGov BrandIndex measures consumers perceptions of brands based on quality, value, customer satisfaction, corporate reputation, general impression and likelihood of consumers to recommend the brand.
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Digital Lead with Integrated Agency Gemini Search £60000 - £75000 per annum, City of London
- Product Manager - Global Automotive Giant - Berkshire Ninesharp £40000 - £50000 per annum + Great Benefits and Brand Car, Slough
- Interim Brand / Senior Brand Manager Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment Competitive day rate, London
- Account Manager Pitch Consultants £24000 - £30000 per annum, Greater Manchester