Eurostar flags up marketing as central to sales rise
Eurostar has earmarked marketing and price-led promotions as central to its rise in sales and passenger numbers.
Speaking to Marketing, Eurostar marketing director Lionel Benbassat said: "A series of recent price-led promotions and marketing campaigns have worked well in communicating attractive fares, convenient connections and fast journey times."
Eurostar's results reveal an uplift in customers choosing high-speed rail over flying in Europe.
Eurostar reported a 1% rise in revenues to £425m for the first six months of the year, up from £421m for the same period last year. Passenger numbers have grown by 2% to 4.8 million, the company said.
Benbassat said a series of activity around fares had helped to boost the train company’s performance against air carriers to European destinations such as Amsterdam.
He said: "As a result, we are seeing more customers choosing high-speed rail over plane for destinations like Amsterdam and Provence, as well as the traditional capital cities of Paris and Brussels."
Eurostar is the official rail services provider for the Games and in April staged a series of promotions over the course of a day, from on-board upgrades to tickets to the Olympics, for consumers travelling to and from London.
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - Integrated Shoreditch Agency - Financial Services - £30-38k Judi Patton £30k-38k, Shoreditch, London
- Head of Inbound (SEO and Content) dmpeople Between £60,000 and £80,000 plus bonus and benefits, London
- Regional Shopper & Market Insights Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, Asia
- International Trade Planning Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 per annum, London
- Campaign Viral Chart: Amazon's drones topple van Damme
- Shazam reveals most tagged ads of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014