Apple ordered to run ads stating Samsung did not rip-off iPad
Apple has been ordered by a High Court judge to run newspaper ads and a homepage notice stating that Samsung Electronics did not copy designs for the iPad.
Apple has refused to comment on the ruling by Judge Colin Birss, which requires Apple to post a notice that Samsung’s Galaxy tablets don't infringe Apple’s designs.
According to Bloomberg, the notice has to be posted on Apple's UK homepage for six months and published in newspapers and magazines.
However, the order is not yet definite as Birss has granted Apple permission to take its case to the court of appeal.
Samsung’s lawyers have drawn up a draft copy of an order stating Apple must pay for notices in "the Financial Times, the Daily Mail, Guardian Mobile magazine and T3", according to Bloomberg.
During the ruling on 9 July Birss said the Samsung Galaxy tablet was different to the iPad because the Galaxy was not as "cool".
Birss said: "They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design.
"They are not as cool. The overall impression produced is different."
Following the ruling, Samsung has blasted its rival's litigious nature.
A Samsung spokesperson said: "Should Apple continue to make excessive legal claims based on such generic designs, innovation in the industry could be harmed and consumer choice unduly limited."
The ruling centred on Samsung seeking a declaration that three of its Galaxy tablet computers did not infringe Apple’s designs.Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Communications Executive Ninesharp £28000 - £35000 per annum + Fantastic Benefits, City of London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Retail] - Superb London Agency! Fill Recruitment £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, London (Greater)
- Online Trading Manager Premier Consultants c.£45k plus bonus , Central London
- Account Director - Integrated / [CARS] - Global Agency - to £55k pending experience Fill Recruitment to £55k plus superb benefits, London (Greater)
- PLANNING ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR - GLOBAL SOFT DRINKS BRAND Ultimate Asset £50000 - £60000 per annum, London
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Haig Club launches David Beckham ad
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Blinkbox readies campaign to promote its cinema links
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith