Nokia smartphone sales drop 36%
Nokia has posted a massive loss for the second quarter after smartphone sales plunged by 36% year on year.
Sales of smartphones plunged from €2.35bn to €1.54bn year on year, contributing to an operating loss of €826m.
The company is making the transition from devices that use the Symbian operating system to Lumia devices that run off the Windows Phone operating system.
It has struggled to compete with rivals such as Apple and Samsung and made a $1.2bn pre-tax loss in 2011.
Lumia shipments have increased quarter on quarter in Q2 to four million units, in line with forecasts, but the average selling price of Lumia devices in the second quarter was €186 compared to €220 in the first quarter.
Last week, Nokia halved the price of its flagship Lumia 900 phone in the US.
Marketing expenditure increased on the previous quarter due to higher expenditure on Lumia devices alongside an expanded regional distribution of Lumia devices.
Year-on-year marketing spend declined primarily due to lower spend on Symbian devices and cost controls.
Stephen Elop, chief executive at Nokia, said: "We plan to provide updates to current Lumia products over time, well beyond the launch of Windows Phone 8.
"We believe the Windows Phone 8 launch will be an important catalyst for Lumia. We made good progress establishing our location-based platform with businesses like Yahoo, Flickr, and Bing."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Mid-weight Designer with super cool boutique agency Dahling Ltd £28-35k, London (East), London (Greater)
- Mid-weight or Senior Conceptual Creative Team Dahling Ltd £30-45k or £60-90k, London (East), London (Greater)
- Junior Conceptual Creative or a Junior Creative team- TOP BOUTIQUE CREATIVE AGENCY!!!! Dahling Ltd £20-25k, London (East), London (Greater)
- Project Manager - Client Side - Blue Chip - CRM, Data, Backend Salt £35000 - £45000 per annum + + Benefits +75% off travel , London
- CREATIVE SERVICES MANAGER (Brand Guardian, Marketing, Strategy) Creative Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Surrey