Campaign Viral Chart: Cookie Monster scores with 'share it maybe'
By Ben Hall, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 20 July 2012 08:00AM
Riding the coat-tails of the summer boom in Carlie Rae Jepsen lip-sync videos, the 'Sesame Street' "share it maybe" ad starring Cookie Monster takes this week's second most-shared slot.
The spoof video, following recent success from Abercrombie & Fitch in the same arena, features Cookie Monster dancing through an office complex, and was shared just shy of 302,000 times.
The "gymkhana 5" ad, featuring stunt driver Ken Block, retains first place with a further 771,000 shares this week and has now been viewed 21.8 million times.
Further down the chart, two ads attacking US President Barack Obama have entered in fourth and fifth position.
Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney's two latest appearances in the chart join a string of viral successes in recent months as the country gears up for its elections in November.
Videos from the Obama camp have made appearances in the chart previously, ads supporting Romney have been shared consistently more.
With just one week to go until the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in London, P&G and Samsung are the only official sponsors to make the chart – in seventh and eighth place, respectively.
The chart, produced in conjunction with Unruly, ranks ads according to the number of times they have been shared on Facebook and the blogosphere.
Ads launched more than 30 days ago are not included.
1. DC Shoes 'Ken Block's gymkhana five' created in-house
771,403 shares this week
All time: 1,656,104 shares
2. Sesame Street 'share it maybe' by Sesame Street Workshop
301,726 shares this week
All time: 593,368 shares
3. Som Sabadell 'flashmob' by Remake Comunicacion
126,672 shares this week
All time: 346,685 shares
4. Mitt Romney 'what happened?' Romney for President, inc.
49,957 shares this week
All time: 56,951 shares
5. Mitt Romney 'no evidence' by Romney for President, inc.
41,772 shares this week
All time: 44,852 shares
6. Intel 'round table ultrabook' by Interlude, New York
22,874 shares this week
All time: 25,666 shares
7. P&G 'kids' by Wieden+Kennedy
20,791 shares this week
All time: 32,819 shares
8. Samsung 'London 2012' by Chiel USA
16,574 shares this week
All time: 19,022 shares
9. McDonald's 'what's in the sauce that is in the Big Mac?' by DDB
12,388 shares this week
All time: 19,688 shares
10. Temptations 'boots' by DDB, Chicago
2,522 shares this week
All time: 15,145 shares
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Studio Manager / Front of House - brand & packaging agency Gabriele Skelton £24000 - £28000 per annum, London
- Account Manager : CRM/DM/Digital : Integrated agency : Central London Dylan Circa £30k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Planner : New, Full Service Creative Agency : London Dylan Circa £60k + benefits, London (Greater)
- Marketing Executive - Global Leading Oil and Gas Company Ninesharp Negotiable, Swindon
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Facebook IQ reveals marketing to millennials is flawed
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Guardian joins forces with Telegraph for media planning tool
- Sir Martin Sorrell labels Omnicom CFO exit 'bizarre'
- OMD lands Liberty Global pan-Euro media